can bad homemade compost cause seeds not to sprout?

San Jose, CA

I was so excited to till in my first batch of homemade compost into a section of my vegetable garden. I planted fava bean seeds there, which I have never had a problem growing. I only got about 10% sprouting rate after several successive plantings. When I dug up seeds that never sprouted they all looked similar to the picture--a root had come out and a sprout part too, but the top of the sprout part was black and rotted. Could there be something in my homemade compost, like a disease, that I have introduced into the soil (yikes!) to cause this problem?

Thumbnail by thedrsma
Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm no expert on diseases, but it looks like something has been chewing on it . . .

San Jose, CA

Yes, I thought about that too, but the point where the sprout ends is well below the soil surface so it is not something like a rabbit. And if it were something wormlike in the soil, I would think it would affect all the crops in my raised bed--not just the favas, and it is only affecting the favas (which is also the only part of the bed where I put my homemade compost).

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Compost can hold a lot of moisture and cause larger seeds to rot

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.