Looking for JM seeds please

Morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

I dont have anything to trade yet, I just moved into a new house and just starting my beds. If anyone has JM seeds they can part with I would be very grateful. It doesnt matter what kind.

thanks,
Rob

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

ebay has many different types for cheap. Search for "Japanese Maple seeds"
Good luck, Paulina

Morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Paulina =)

--Rob

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

If you want a good seed source, try Angel Grove Tree Seeds:

http://www.angelgroveseeds.com/

They have seeds for many JM varieties - however, you have to remember that seedlings do not grow true. They may exhibit the characteristics of the parent plant but they are not 'true' to the parent (just because you get seeds from a Bloodgood, that doesn't mean the seedling will grow to be identical to the parent).

We grow a ton of JM seedlings. While we cannot call them Bloodgood, Emperor I, etc - they are still beautiful trees.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

OR - look for large plants around your city and check them for seeds. Ask homeowners for seed, etc.

They mature in the fall and you got to be on top of it to harvest them before they fall yet still so they've matured.

Dax

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

If your into seeds I echo Dax's comments and would add better to pick a little young in early fall than to wait til they fall off the tree and they are lost as happened to me last year It is virtually impossible to absolutly know when they will fall...so best err on the safe side and pick a little too early than to not pick a little too late and many feel waiting til they turn brown is not as good as picking 'em a little green ...that way you don't have to soak 'em and all that crap;>) ..David

This message was edited Jul 22, 2006 7:11 PM

Morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

thanks everyone. I realize they dont come true to their parents. I like the surprise element of seed starting. I will look around, I know where a few are in my community.

Thanks again,

Rob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.