Should clematis be deadheaded?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

In earlier posts, I mentioned the clematis' growing in my new yard. There are three plants, all growing entwined up a shepherd's hook.

I had beautiful blue-purple blooms the last few weeks, but those are just about finished. I think those were "Type 2", early, large-flowered variety. According to all the advice I'm seeing, it should be pruned back now, as the first flush of flowers is just about finished.

Problem is, there seems to be a different variety growing along with the ones that bloomed already, as they've set buds that look as though they'll open in a few weeks. I'm afraid to do any pruning since it's difficult to tell which vine is which.

SO....should I just deadhead the ones that are done, or what? I'm new at clematis, but rapidly becoming a big fan!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I always advocate deadheading spent blooms unless you want seeds to grow....but with Clematis your seeds won't be true to the parent plant anyway...Definitely deadhead so your plant will focus on growing and producing blooms instead of wasting all that energy making seedheads....Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.