Desperate

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello, I have a problem and need some help.
If you go to this post http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607687/ and read the last two entries (there are pics) it explaines my situation. I am desperate, and on the verge of giving up gardening altogether.

My question is this. Since hubby screwed up (BIG TIME) by bringing in what he calls good dirt. I was wondering if I could take the Miracle Grow Gardening Soil I have and mix this in with his so called good dirt. No matter what I attempt to do, things always end up being his way or no way.

I had such high hopes for this garden spot and he wouldn't get me the rich black top soil that I wanted. My seedlings are getting big enough now for me to plant and I really don't want to put them in this crap.

Connie

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 10:30 AM

Peoria, IL

Soil is a mix of sand, silt, clay, organic matter, air and water. Do a jart test on it and see what it looks like.

http://www.pixieforest.com/Alex%20Keenan/Jar%20test.htm

If the jar test has approximately equal parts sand, clay and silt, then the soil is probably fine for your garden. If the jar test shows a predominance of clay - I might ask hubby to haul it off my garden.

Small pebbles and rocks are only a problem if they are too large to dig into. And the small pebbles and rocks make up the sandy part of the soil... they are part of the minerals that are needed for plants.

A few roots are not necessarily a bad thing, unless they bermuda grass roots or something like that. The roots are part of the organic matter component of soil... they will decay and become nutrients for your plants.

When starting a fresh garden plot with new soil I would definitely till in alot of compost to boost the organic matter portion of the soil. Its the organic matter that gives soil the black color that you are looking for....

and its that black gold that makes people strive to make their own compost.

Give your hubby a kiss, thank him for the topsoil and start tilling in that compost.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks joepyeweed, Will have to use a hoe, rake, whatever, can't get the tiller in it. You give me hope :)
Connie

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You are a fortunate person in Michigan with any soil you have. It looks quite sandy (the best to ammend) and I would invest in some good compost. then rent a tiller (small) and mix the soil and compost. I would remove about 1/3 of the soil and add an equal volume of compost. Mix it down to the bottom of the raised bed. Now you have perfect soil. I would NOT use any miracle grow mixes because they have inorganic fertilizer added and it is not a good type of compost. I would look for a nursery that has "soil pep" and you can buy it in bulk and add to the soil. Anyone who makes a bed has work to do to make the soil before they can have success. The picture below is in a bed that was made up of primary clay and had 5X compost added to make it good. I wish I had the sand like Michigan to start with. I grew up in Evart Michigan so I know what you are starting with.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much for all the great advice.

Connie

Denver, CO

Organic matter, organic matter, organic matter.
Amend, amend, amend.
Never give up gardening!
Amen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.