How close to the house to set out a hydrangea?

I have several hydrangeas that I rooted from cuttings last year and I'd like to set them out down one side of the house. I need to know how far out to set them. My husband will have a fit if they touch the vinyl siding! LOL I am not certain of exactly which cultivar they are, but they are a mophead variety.
Also, these would be going on the north side of the house, but they'll get full morning sun. The window that faces this direction gets sun from sunup til about noon. I believe that would be acceptable for them, wouldn't it?
These are the first hydrangeas I've grown, so please forgive my ignorance about them. My grandmother always had them, as did my mother-in-law, but I always just enjoyed the blooms and left it at that. LOL
Thanks so much!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

If you don't want them to touch the house at ALL, I'd say 3 feet out. It will take a few years to get that big, but eventually they will. I planted mine about 18 inches from the house and they are very much touching it, but I wanted them that way. After they touch the house, they wont grow where they can't.. thats my theory. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.