Iris ID challenge

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I bought several irises about 10 years ago. The tags are long lost. In the bunch was Spring Splendor, Lace Jabot, Bountiful Harvest and a couple others. This one I think I'd know the name if I heard it

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

This would be Spring Splendor do you think? I was also supposed to have Rapture In Blue, but this looks white

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 8:15 AM

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Bountiful Harvest?

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The first one is probably your Spring Splendor. You can view a pic of it here:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/aug02/msg00200.html

The third pic may be Bountiful Harvest.

Another unknown. I don't have anything that looks like Lace Jabot

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Laurie, thanks so much! I've checked all over and couldn't find a photo. It's a really pretty iris and quite prolific. I'm going to go tag it quick.

BY the way, I liked your photo of Amain. I have an order outstanding at Iris Sisters, so i emailed and said I needed Amain too, Robin said she'll just add it in as a bonus. She's so nice. I'm just starting the iris addiction, your photos were spectacular, and I guess it's a good plant for northerners

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Of the name possibilities you've mentioned so far, Rapture in Blue is the best match for the last pic you posted. I don't know what that second pic might be.

The great thing about irises is that they are such a diverse group of plants that there are irises for virtually every climate. However, all irises do not thrive in all climates. For instance, TBs tend to be problematic for me here in northern MN. I've lost hundreds of TB cultivars over the years that just weren't tough enough to handle my climate and growing conditions. I do still grow a couple of hundred different TBs, but I primarily grow the median and dwarf bearded classes and a number of beardless irises. It's taken about a decade to figure out which irises are and aren't likely to perform here.

Laurie

Oh I hope I didn't mess up ordering iris then! I think I mostly ordered TB. I should have asked first. I had given up on iris after a borer infestation when i lived in NJ 15 years ago.

Well, I guess I'll learn too, what doesn't make it up here. Do you have a garden diary of your iris? I might take some hints on what you've had luck with.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The easiest way to see what has and hasn't managed to survive here is to visit my website at:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/shadowood/irislist.html

The irises that have asterisks by their names are some of the ones that have died here. The ones without asterisks are still alive and kicking. Of course since that list is of my iris photos, it reflects only the irises that have survived here long enough to bloom. I've lost hundreds more over the years that never even made it to first bloom.

Laurie

I think the white is Immortality. Does that look right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.