I need help-can anyone telling me about crossing iris?

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

I want to start crossing iris i placed a big order that is due in fall
and i have iris i just got from a friend in bloom....any tips ideas ....Ty robin

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

First of all, I strongly suggest you contact the seller from whom you have placed your large order and request shipment in July, NOT fall! I'm in zone 3b, and I can tell you that planting bearded irises after Aug. 15 in my cold climate WILL result in loss of some irises over winter due to lack of adequate root systems. Bearded irises require AT LEAST 6-8 weeks time to root in before your first frost of fall. I try to get all beardeds planted before the end of July, but I can push it to Aug. 15 if need be. Any later than that, and I will start experiencing losses of the new transplants over winter. The earlier in the season that you can get beardeds in the ground in a cold winter climate, the better!

What exactly do you want to know about crossing irises? What type(s) of irises are you growing and wanting to cross?

Laurie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I ditto Laurie's thingy about shipping date. Otherwise you may find yourself growing them under lights in your basement for the
winter. Been there, done that-

Have you looked on the net for hybridizing info?

Go google the AIS website (American Iris Society).

Under Region 18
http://www.region18.com/hybridizing.htm

you will find directions.
inanda

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

I have a order with blueiris.com
the iris i have right now are unnamed.So i am not sure what to do.will blue iris ship before fall does anyone know?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I am not familiar with blue iris, but if you are referring to Blue J Iris, they will ship earlier than fall. I ordered from them last year and received my order in June or July. You MUST contact them, however, and tell them you want the irises shipped as quickly as possible because you live in zone 4a and must plant early.

Laurie

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Laurie I contacted them my shippment is 7/3/06.
I ordered-Almost Eden TB 1999
Amusement TB 1991
Armageddon- BONUS TB 1992
Arsonist- BONUS TB 1977
Attention Please- BONUS TB 1974
Ballerina Girl- BONUS TB 1998
Can Can Dancer TB 1997
Crimson Snow TB 1987
Degas Dancer TB 1994
Desert Triumph TB 1992
Devil's Fork TB 1998
Diva Do TB 1993
Dream Lord TB 1996
Genetic Artist AB 1972
Halo in Rosewood TB 1993
High Life TB 1964
Indiscreet TB 1988
Joyous Melody TB 1985
Jumping Jupiter TB 1997
Kilt Lilt TB 1970
Latin Rock TB 1984
Magic Show TB 1994
Oasis Robin TB 2003
Springhouse TB 1991
Sultan's Daughter TB 1995

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A 7/3 ship date should work just fine for you. Good luck with all of your new irises.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.