Question

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am wanting a insect eating cobra plant and don't know what it is called. Can someone help me please. I really want to get something insect eating.

The plant is called Darlingtonia californica. This is going to be a difficult one to grow and probably not the greatest out the gate plant for a person who is just beginning to show an interest in carnivorous plants. There are those (who shall remain anonymous) who live in areas where they can be grown effortlessly and outdoors year round but I can assure you that will not be the case where you live.

Hey! I'm not anonymous! And neither is Phil! Just because my one surviving darlingtonia is putting up new cobras.... effortlessly...as you say.
so maybe she should try a different one. A sarracenia maybe? They do a dandy bug-eating job.

"I really want to get something insect eating." ROFLOL!! Maybe another one is being landed even as we speak, so to speak!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I just want to try one of the carnivorous plants. Where should I look for one and which is easiest to care for?

I would say that Mexican Pinguicula can be very cheerful plants on your windowsill but Drosera binata is another plant that would be fun for you with all of its tentacles for lack of a better term. The Sarracenia spp would pretty much all be fun and I think you'd have great success with them if you have a nice sunny spot in your garage to be able to provide them with a dormancy so they don't burn themselves out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.