? re: baby's breath

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
Can someone point me to a good reference about baby's breath? I planted some seed that did great.
Each pot now has really tall, floppy stems that won't stay upright. I realize that they are still very young plants but is this normal?
TIA!!
LoraB.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are they getting enough light? Since you mention pots I'm suspecting maybe you started them indoors, and if seedlings don't get enough light they tend to get leggy (most seedlings, not just baby's breath)

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reply.
The seeds were wintersown on my deck and did really well. I transplanted some into my cutting garden and transplanted the others into pots. I'll post a photo so you can see what I'm talking about.

edit to say: This plant is more upright because I have it propped up on the deck rail.

Thanks again.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2006 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by LoraB
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Is B.Breath a perennial?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They look a little tall for Baby's breath, but to me at least they don't look like they're too leggy from not enough light, I think maybe your variety is just taller than the ones I'm familiar with and may need to be staked if you want them to stay upright.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

I found a reference in the Ortho's "All about Perennials" book and they did say they might need to be supported. I don't know what cultivar I have as the seed pkg someone sent me just read baby's breath.

ecrane, Do you pinch yours? Or deadhead?

anastatia, yes, they are perennial. This is my first year trying them.

Lora

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I actually don't have any--I've just seen them at garden centers and in other people's gardens so hopefully someone else who has some will come along and give you some advice!

Anastatia--some types of baby's breath are perennial, but I'm pretty sure there are some types that are annuals too.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have some seedlings and the seed pkg marked "annuals" but I am now going to get the perennial type. great info. thank you.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I bought some perenninal from Jackson & Perkins the (Pink) ones. I purchased some for my friend. I have moved them already once in the past years. Due to the fact I thought they were not getting enough light. They are comming up and they are not doing very well. No blooms. yet this year. I might have to move them again. I lost one this year so I am afraind to touch them. Keep me post on the Perenninal type. As I am having no luck wiht this particular one.
Good Luck!
Kathryn

Lora, the Baby's breath you have there looks to be the annual type. If you don't like it flopping over, try supporting it with a few shrub branches or a tomato cage. It is a wonderful filler for bouquets and between other perennials

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

there are several perennial types. here is a small one ('compacta plena') that I have planted as a companion for under roses. it's 3 years old and only gets about 6" tall. But there are taller varieties that are supposed to get 2-3'. And there are annual varieties.

for more info, check the PlantFiles under gypsophila

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 6:28 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

It didn't occur to me that they might be annual. The flowers on the ones I have are lovely. I'm disappointed to hear they won't come back as I planted several in my cutting garden. Oh well...
This year has been one gardening discovery after another. :-) It's keeping me on my toes! And now, off to PlantFiles I go.

Thanks all.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Perennial baby's breath is beautifully grown on a wall or mound where it can naturally drape.

Tussee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.