Flowers finally

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

This Wisteria started as a 2 ft. potted plant from Agway. It never flowered 'til this spring. I don't know if it is crushing the arbor or keeping it up. After the flowers we plan on a new arbor, hopefully without killing the Wis.

Thumbnail by Frankay
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Very pretty! How many years before it flowered after you bought it? I have heard they can take 7 to 10 years before they flower. I have one that I started from seed last year. I guess I will have to wait a while.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

We got it in the ground in '98. It had one flower bunch in '01. Then nothing 'til this spring.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow, so the 7-10 years is definitely a good ballpark. Well, I can only hope that mine looks like yours one day.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

My only advice is start it on an arbor that will last that long. Ours is falling over.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh! What a good point! I will have to plan that carefully. Perhaps if I make it from cedar it would be more durable. Or maybe I should buy a metal one.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I got my first wisteria this spring. The owner of the local nursery said she bought a house with two scrubby, scrawny wisteria in the back yard, planted where they didn't get enough sun. She transplanted them and didn't want an arbor so she twisted the two main trunks around each other and kept trimming and pruning the lower branches..................and she has a wisteria tree.

She said the most important thing to do to encourage blooming is keep trimming the wisteria back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.