Is Silver Lace Vine invasive?

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Its suppose to attract Japanese Beetles and I would like to have one to lure them away from my roses.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, it can be - it spreads by millions of seeds and by underground runner roots. Just pull out what you don't want.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 11:38 PM

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
Yes, it can be - it spreads by millions of seeds and by underground runner roots. Just pull out what you don't want.

It spreads by millions of seeds and you think all the neighbors want some too? Everything I've searched says that yes, it is invasive. I had one years ago, read about it's invasiveness and pulled it up. Please remember that when you garden, it should stay within your own yard. It goes outside of it, then that's when the problems for others begin. It doesn't stay where it's supposed to stay. If it doesn't stay within your own yard, why would you want it?

Please research and learn what the definition of an invasive plant is.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ZlkVAXHqfPkJ:www.ipcnys.org/files/THE_TOP_50__LawnGarden_invasives_LI.doc+Polygonum+aubertii+invasive&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6

What about an actual Japanese Beetle Trap? You can get those at virtually every home improvement center out there. Get a few. Be prepared to empty them frequently. The actual JB traps will work far better than any Silver Lace Vine (Polygonum aubertii).

I've heard the traps really don't work well.
Can't remember what is was about them.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 11:38 PM

Yes, there was an entire thread here some where on the pros and cons. Based on what I know, the people who empty them on a daily basis enjoy the most success with them. Those who let them fill up and miss a few days here and there without emptying them, end up attracting many more JBs than they'll know what to do with. You'd need a couple traps and you'd need to commit to emptying them during the height of their activity. You will be eliminating adults which means they can't reproduce and create even bigger problems for you in years to come.

Do the JB keep going on your roses when you use the traps or do they mainly go to the traps?
I have 100 roses and I not only get JB but Rose Chafers come before them. Its a very frustrating ordeal for me all season long.

I don't have roses any longer. But the JB will eat anything in their path which is why you would have to be on top of those traps. I have to tell you there will be a few days where you may have to empty them a few times a day. You would be decreasing their numbers and in the long run, that's a good thing given the number of "bouncing baby" JBs each one can reproduce that would all be wanting to use your roses as a smorgasbord next year. It's one of those deals where if you got a few of your friends and neighbors together from the neighborhood and if a few of you went at this, you'd all enjoy some relief. You'd just have to keep at it.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

kooger, you don't think your neighbor with the bean and corn fields would mind if his land became infested with silver lace vine? There's a thread on here with a field full of miscanthus grass. If I was the farmer, I wouldn't like the extra cost to me to eradicate.
Here's the thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608735/

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 11:39 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.