Corn: "Gotta Have It" variety ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Has anyone tried the sweet corn from Gurney's called "Gotta Have It" ?

I planted Kandy Corn earlier, but want to plant a second stand of corn for maturing later toward the end of summer. The Gotta Have It matures in 78 days and is a hybrid.

I'd like to know if anyone else is growing it, and how it's doing for you.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm growing it for the first time, this year. Pretty close to 100% germination rate, and the corn all looks healthy and the right size for its age.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

That's good to hear. How long before yours is ready ? I would like to hear if you think it is as good as they say in flavor and texture etc. Keep us posted on how you like it when you've got a chance.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My "gotta have it" variety is called 'Honey Select'! A local farmer started growing it a couple years ago, and it is delicious beyond belief. Sugar-sweet, but it still has that great yellow corn flavor, unlike some of the newer varieties. I know that's not actually the topic of the thread, but couldn't resisit a chance to recommend my favorite! I bought some seeds last year, but gave them away because DH issued a rare veto... he said, "We are not a farm. We will not grow corn. We will buy as much as you want from Mr. Mayne (the farmer down the road)." I've been slicing it off the cob and freezer it for a taste of summer heaven all winter long!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

So you think Honey Select is a good variety too ? Glad to know that. I'm always wondering about the different varieties, there are so many to choose from. And I hate to try one and be disappointed with it being such a long maturing crop that takes up so much of the garden. Thanks for the tip.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.