Slime Mold

Knoxville, TN

This is a yellow ugly gooy substance that grows to foot square size in less than a day in my mulch. It happens in hot, humid weather. Is there any way to prevent it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I know of no way to prevent it without harming your plants, but you can pick up the mass with a shovel, put it in a plastic bag and throw it away. It doesn't really hurt anything .. just looks bad.

X

Olympia, WA

It is just like a mushroom ..... and its time of being visible and gross is somewhat limited. Xera's suggestion is an environmentally safe one.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

It is a decomposing fungus and it is busy decomposing your mulch. It will not harm your plants in any way. There is no way to prevent it. Happens a lot on hardwood mulch that in MHO hasn't been composted enough before it is sold as mulch.

Oh - BTW, it is called "Dog Vomit Fungus'. Guess why. Another name is "Scrambled Egg Fungus". Maybe you'd prefer to use that one....

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 12:11 AM

Nashville, TN

I have the same problem, but now it seems to have wrapped around my verbena, which seems to be suffering. It is brown/black and powdery on the outside, and yellow-orange on the inside. I am worried that the powdery part is blowinf spores everywhere. Since it is now wrapped around my verbena, I can't really scoop it up. Any other ideas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.