Is this normal?

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

I am very new to cannas. In fact, my Yellow King Humbert just put out its first bloom. I just noticed these round things on it after the bloom fell off..is that normal?

Thumbnail by Kauai17
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Absolutely! They are seed pods. If you let them ripen the capsules will turn brown and you will find shiny black seeds in them.

X

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my I had no clue that cannas produced seeds. Well that is a mighty good surprise. Thanks!!!!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 7:43 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

If you like growing things from seeds, try some canna. They are very easy to grow. Canna seeds are hard coat seeds. You will need to nick them enough to where you see white (I use a dremel tool and drill holes in them), soak them overnight in hand hot water then plant them in starter pots. When they are up and you can see roots starting to come out the bottom you can either plant them in a larger pot or in the ground.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Quezon City, Philippines

It's normal. Those are seed pods. Somehow, I have never been able to get the seed pods on the yellow varieties to ripen. One small red variety (with small pointed petals) however bears these brown/black seeds as shown by Xeranthemum.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

rob, not every canna sets seeds. Alice can tell you if your canna will set seeds or not.

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I guess we will wait and see what happens!! I start a ton of things from seed so it will be fun to play with!!!!

I'll keep y'all posted!!!

Weston, FL(Zone 10a)

Xera, Thanks for the information on soaking and nicking the seeds.
I tried to plant the seeds a few times without following this method and was unsuccessful. I'm going to go to my neighbor's front yard and grab me a few seeds from their pods and go for it. I'll tell you how I fair.

Thumbnail by Rainbowman18

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.