Canna Identification

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I have a very pretty canna that I bought with no label. The flowers top out at 4 feet and are striped dark and light orange and full and poufy and the stems are long which makes it good for cut flowers. The leaves are a dark burgundy and olive green striped pattern. It is so bright it stands out in my garden like a light bulb.

Does anyone know what kind it might be?

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Another more close up.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

looks like "Wyoming" to me. There are a lot of canna varieties though.

Yes, I wondered if that was what is was. It is just that I looked around on the internet and couldn`t find any with the stripes in the flower petal as vivid as this one. It could be my picture is clearer and more close up.

I read that Tropicanna was a sport of Wyoming. Imagine that? They do favor.

Here is another close up. I really favor this one a lot!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 10:56 PM

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

That is a beauty! I have some that I know to be Wyoming planted here which should bloom in mid to late July. I'll try to remember to get some pics to compare. They were spectacular last year.

Sure,that is a great way to learn how to identify the cultivars or simply appreciate how beautiful these flowers are.

Insead of a tiny blurred advertisement picture you get to see what they really look like up close. This is great!

I already feel at home here and thanks so much.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Very nice photo :-))
I can't tell it sure without seeing the whole plant. Especially as it matures. But I would guess Wyoming or Orange Julius.
Alice

Thank you. I think I have beginners enthusiasm. :)

You know how people take what seems like 100,000 pictures of their first baby?

This is my first canna I raised and the first to bloom this year so I`ll probably always have this one in my garden.

I started with this one little plant last year that was small,had no tag and seemed to have promise so I bought it discount due to no labeling.

It bloomed the striped bloom and then came back the same size as last year and multipied well and you are right I`ll give it another year to see how it develops and compare with other photos that get submitted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.