Engineering 101

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

It is hard for me to stand up for long periods of time while I fertilize my gardens with Miracle Grow or other water based fertilizers. Additionally, with this clay soil, the water/fertilizer tends to run off the soil so unless I cut down some planters and bury them around the plants to create a ring that prevents run off, most of the fertilizer goes into the surrounding area. I don't really want to put the rings down because then when we get heavy rains, it will cause the plants to rot. With this soil you really need a slow, steady delivery for water and wet fertilizers. Back when I had my other yard, I had the same problem with standing while I put down Miracle Grow...but with the sandy soil I didn't have the run off problem...back then I kept thinking that if I could just come up with a way to work the sprayer into the sprinkler I'd have it made...but back then there wasn't a way to do it. Well, now they make the Miracle Grow sprayer so you can screw the end off of it. I attached the sprinkler to the spray end, then put the whole thing up on a couple of buckets (which my five house cats were only too happy to contribute!) so it was elevated to allow for the sprayer to remain upright, set the whole thing on slow delivery and Voila! A 'turn-key' fertilizer, sprinkler system.

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Stephenville, TX(Zone 8a)

That is very clever BamaBelle!! I start hurting too when I stand and apply the hose-end fertilizer. I love the results it gives me, but I was starting to get a notion that I might end up dreading the fertilizing as the summer progressed when really it should be a non-stressful, relaxing activity. This is the first summer I have actually been diligent about keeping up with the fertilizing, too, so it's a whole new experience for me.

I am going to give your method a try. Do you just keep checking until all the fertilizer is gone, or do you have this down to a science now and know about when to turn it off?

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I just keep checking it. I try to put enough fertilizer in that on a low setting I can combine the fertlizer with a good soaking...in other words I put about 3-4 hours worth of fertilizer in....but I set it really low and turn the water on low as well. The idea with this hard clay soil is to give it about 4-6 inches over about a 3-4 hour period. Like a nice slow drizzly rain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.