What is wrong with my Tropicanna gold??

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

The leaves are brown around the edges on some as you can see! I am not sure what it is lacking or maybe getting too much of?? These can be in full sun right?? Help from anyone!

Thumbnail by BevHart
Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

This is my Tropicanna and the leaves I think are showing more green than they should be? Again, help from anyone would be welcome!
Bev

Thumbnail by BevHart
Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Bev,

Not saying you have them, but look for Leaf Rollers. Where there's a rolled-up leaf, they "stitch" it closed, then eat the leaf from the inside out. Look for white stitching on the seam of a rolled-up leaf. If it's there, it's hard to miss.

Steve

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Steve, and thanks for the response. I think I saw another post about them, I will check it out!
Bev

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

where did you get that canna BevHart? paul

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

I picked them both up at my local lowes Paul, why do you ask?? Tell me I have some awful diseased cannas that will wipe all I have out and I will probably take them back to lowes and throw a fit! LOL No, seriously why do you ask??
Bev

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Bev, I've had Tropicanna for years and I've learned that they can not take full sun here. If I have them in full sun, they thrive fine, but the leaf coloring is very dull and washed out. I have mine in morning sun now with some dappled shade in the afternoon. They look wonderful. And remember....cannas love lots of water too!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

In my zone 8 it seems afernoon or partial shade is the thing for the Tropicannas and Bengal Tigers I`m trying out.

These almost passed away in the typical canna location where I first planted them. I scurried out to dig them and move them to a cooler partial shade area like Emergency the very next day when I saw how they were getting fried.

Now they are doing wonderful with enough sun to keep them happy with the growth and enough shade to keep them from too much heat and scorching and it seems the color is brighter. I had to move them around to find a spot that that was just right. I think next time I will keep them in a pot to do this so I will not stress the poor things so much.

I learn every single day keeping this little garden. :)

This message was edited Jun 4, 2006 9:41 AM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i have some cannas from wall mart that look just like yours and some others here do to . ill bet lowes and walmart get there cannas at the same place. i belive it might be some thing in there soil or some thing lacking . also id say most are clones regards paul

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah well, I may have to move these babies!! Most of my yard is either SUNNY or shady...not much in between, as my trees are still growing and don't give us much shade. And the ones that are large enough would offer too much shade I am afraid! They have plenty of water, so I believe it is too much sun! Maybe I need to go buy them a patio umbrella so they can be shielded from the sun! Teehee!

Paul, isn't it the truth! You never know what you are going to get when you go to lowes or walmart! I guess I will nurse these guys through and see if I can acquire one of each from a reputable person that truly has the Tropicanna and Tropicanna Gold!

I have recently planted a Black Knight in the same location as these guys, I guess if it is an issue with the sun I will know soon enough! I also dusted all my cannas with Seven dust for fear that leaf rollers may be in the area!

Gardener2005, I think we all keep learning something new every day with the gardening life! It adds to what we thought we knew!

Bev

Mine do good with sun most of the day with some shade from the mid day and some protection but not total shaded afternoon sun when the heat can get oppressive to most life forms. ;)

I`m getting the impression the Bengal tigers and tropicannas need other more heat tolerant cannas or banana plants as support plants. These support plants will not totally block out all the light like a huge oak tree would.

I am beginning to start some tall cannas for that very purpose.

Louisville, KY

It is a canna virus. I hate to say it but if you plan to grow cannas you may have to learn to live with this stupid virus. I can easily go into more detail but I will just tell you and everyone on here I believe the virus is to easily spread for it to be kept in control. I find that cannas may have it showing symptoms and not showing them. The plants you have are from monrovia and all that I have gotten from them is infected with the virus. They had attempted to control the virus but I believe that the loss was to great and it was a losing battle so they sold them anyways. To tell the truth everytime you get a new canna even from great sellers and at home hobbiest you run a great chance of getting the virus. I have found it many times and I have no idea what I can do to keep it from taking over my collection specially when plants that are infected can show no signs of it. I have stopped using tools to work with my cannas as it is one of the easiest ways to transfer the virus. So I have been pulling cannas out of the ground with my hands I have also used pure clorine to clean tools when used. Still last season we had a drought last year and the bugs trasfered it much more than usual. So if it is easily trainsfered by tools and bugs expect most sellers to have a problem with it. The other fact you might want to know is that every cannas has a virus. Much like humans all have viruses some are dormant but this one though not a death sentence will effect leaf coloration vigor and so on. The only hope I have heard of is scientist are working on cure for this type of virus in plants manly because it is effecting food stocks. If all works out we maybe able to have some sort of solution for the virus in years to come. Until then you I see now hope for the problem.

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Brian, I was really hoping you would look at the pictures. I figured it was a disease, thank you for responding. From here do I pull them up and get them away from my healthy cannas?? I am assuming I should destroy them as well huh? Boy, it sure is sad to be so excited about these babies only to find out that they were sick from the beginning! Thanks for responding.
Bev

Does the infected plant need to be burned? I sure would hate to loose all the variegated varieties.

So far all mine look beautiful but what are the first signs of virus and what would give me a clue as to which ones to get rid of?

What about seed pods? Will a virus spread through the seed? If you start all your plants from seed will that ensure you have no virused plants?

This message was edited Jun 4, 2006 9:26 PM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Brian, I have some stuttgart that look exactly like bevhart's first pic. Do you mean to tell me all I can do is yank them out? oh no! I do worry because I have tropicana and australia next to the stuttgart. will they become infected?

how do you know her plants came from monrovia? The stuttgart I got from a highly rated source in the GWD, but I don't know where he got them from. I don't think he grows them. I got rhizomes, not plants.

Louisville, KY

Well I hope you know I hate writting about the virus just as much as anyone but to tell the truth if you plan to grow more than a handful of cannas you will probably have to get use to seeing this virus. It moves so fast and the symptoms can be nothing one season and full blown the next then nothing again the next season. Personally I think most if not all tropicanna golds are infected as are tons of other stocks of plants. I have seen seedlings infected but I cannot be sure if it came from seed infected or if it caught it at a very young age. I have heard of people destroying tons of rare cannas because they are infected and they had tried to wipe it out of their collections only to kill every plant and in the end give up growing them completely. This is not something I plan to do. Here are the reasons why they do not make me happy but I think many of us will have to deal with it if we plan to grow them.
First off the virus does not kill the plant it causes mutations and streaking in the leaves and usually white streaking in the flowers. The virus can stay dormant one season and show up the next season. It spreads rapidly and if you see a plant in your collection with the virus it may already be to late. All I can tell you is my plan of action. It seems all sellers have a problem with the canna virus so all stocks that I know of have been infected in someway. So unless you no longer buy cannas or only grow the ones you have already and your neighbors neighbor does not buy wholesale stock either than you may have healthy cannas for a long long time. For the rest of us we will have to deal with what we have. I dont plan to kill all my stock and if I did I dont know were to start as some have shown signs of the virus and no longer do now.
I believe monrovia had tried to rid their stock of the plants and gave up it seems as everything i got form them was infected they probably use unclean tools as many of us have done. The only stock I have seen that is pure and I mean pure of all viruses which is a first are new clean forms out of TC. They can take a virused cannas and clean it up completely of all viruses. The problem here is old stock can easily infect the new stock rapidly.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2006 10:46 PM

certainly would explain what is happening to a tropicana I got last year. would that virus affect stuttgart also?

brian, you have dmail

This sounds sobering. It sounds like all you can do is plant,hope for the best and enjoy what grows well on your property and get rid of what doesn`t and be prepared to start from scratch if you get wiped out by a virus.

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Brian, if you could answer this one too! How does it spread from canna to canna?? If they are on opposites sides of the yard will they catch it? I am wondering what I have that will now be infected.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Can you all post a few more pics of what that virus manifests itself as? I have 6 Canna Stuttgart's that I thought had leaf rollers. I sprayed with Seven spray, only it rained the next day and probably washed all the spray away. Will spray all again today or tomorrow.

What does the virus look like up close so if any of my plants get infected I would be able to distiguish it from insect damage.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 3:11 PM

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

I am at work right now, but when I get home I will get some close up shots and post them.
Bev

Thanks!

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, I took four pictures up close. Hope this helps! The first two should be Tropicanna, see how washed out and brown and wrinkled her leaves are!! Yuck! Not what I expected at all!!

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by BevHart
Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

here is #2

Thumbnail by BevHart
Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by BevHart
Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by BevHart

Bevhart, here is a pic of my stuttgart. looks a lot like yours, in terms of sickliness.

Thumbnail by vossner

My Stuttgarts are starting to do the same thing. Is it the virus or is it leaf roller? I'm using the "Seven" spray on mine. What're you guys using?

I haven't used anything yet. I just send an email to the vendor with a pic asking questions.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Uhoh Vossner...I'll be anxious to hear what they say. I think mine came from the same vendor. So far, mine look fine....but they certainly are green and no variegation anywhere. That's pretty upsetting to me.

A couple of years ago I purchased some Stuttgart from Alice. They were huge, variegated and beautiful. Too bad I let them freeze! Ugh!

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

What you see in my posted pics that is white, is the seven dust I used hoping it was leaf rollers and not a disease!! Vossner, that does look alot like mine did when it all started! Please come back here and post what they have to say in response to your email and picture. It is really sad but what can we do?

I certainly will

Louisville, KY

The leaf rollers will leave holes or scratch marks on the leaves and usually in a patter like form. As for the virus it can be brown streaking to yellow marks to nothing at all. As for spreading it the virus is in the sap and if a insect eats on a leaf then goes to another canna good change it will get infected. If you cut a plant then go cut another plant with the same tool it will get infected. If you dig them up and cut a rhizome and use the shame shovel on the next plant it will infect it. If the sap is in anyway able to get on to another canna it will catch the virus.

Brian, is there some treatment for this virus? Will it come back next year?

BWilliams,
Ok, I have symmetrical holes in my leaves like some used a hole puncher! LEAF ROLLERS! YEAH. THE SEVEN SHOULD WORK!

THANKS!

LEAF ROLLERS! YEAH.

The fact it isn`t virus makes me happy about leaf rollers too. :) whew!!!

I`m glad your plants are going to be OK.

People, people, people.. We're rejoicing over a bug....What have we come to?

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad for you gymgirl, wish mine was a bug! Get that dust out fast!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.