PLEASE Keep track of your 10 earliest blooms_____

Delhi, IA

Being on the line between zone 4 and 5 I am sorry to say that some dahlias only get a chance to show a few quick flowers before they are blackened by a frost. As your flowers open, will you each take a min. and give me the names of the 10 that are first to bloom for you so I can accumulate some of these earlier varieties? I'm sure I will be able to pass on some of these dudes requiring a longer season to some interested addict!!!

I am hoping that starting my tubers in pots I have added 20 to 30 days to my growing time. We shall see____

Thanks for the photos and keep the info coming.
Our first dahlias to bloom in alp. order
Al Almand
Apache
Arabian Night
Aunt Dot
Babylon Red
Blooms Amy
Bokay
Bumble Rumble
Camano Rascal
Daisy
David Howard
Ellen Houston
Extase
Frog's Delight
Hawaii
Impression Futuro
Inflammation
Island View Twister
Kasasgi
K-K-Katie
Kelvin Floodlight
Lauren Michelle
Le Baron
Le Castel
Ludwig Helfert
Lupine Dixie
Lupin Peltier
Marilyn M.
Mary's Jomanda
Monet
Myrtle's Folly
Pam Howden
Park Princess
PattyCake
Prince Charming
Red Pygamy
Rip City
Robin Hood
Rose Toscano
Ryan C
Seedling # 26
Sisa
Skywalker
Sudhira's seedling!!
Summer Dawn
Soulman
Taratahi Lilac
Taylor Rae
Tsuki-yorine-shisha (How'd you like to go through life with a handle like that!!!!)
Wildwood Marie
Yin Yang

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 8:43 PM

Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't have ten and I started my in pots but Hawaii was the first.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pam Howden (waterlily) and Prince Charming (a white border) are already blooming for me. Show N Tell is one of my earliest usually.

Aptos, CA

Pam Howden is amazing...wow, already...thats neato!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mine are in pots too - probably rotting with all this rain - although there is something growing out of where I put the tubers. Gimme a hint - do dahlia's foliage resemble weeds? In a kind of a way?

xxx, Carrie

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Carrie, the ones I have, which are just starting to come up, do resemble weeds, imo.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they *are* dahlias coming up and not weeds! I can't believe I planted 25+ dahlias and none are coming up! LOL

Gwen

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted 30 this year on April 30 and May 1. I think they are all up now, but some are truly tiny. The Arabian Nights are ahead by a mile; they are all about 18" tall while several others are barely up.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

My "Sisa" that I got from Home Depot and started a little early in the G. H. has a small bloom.

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Aptos, CA

First bloom, "Daisy" MS...second bloom, "Inflammation" MS...small plants small flowers. Both were bonus plants from the sellers...go figure, I would have never purchased MS varieties...but they are kind pretty...

Delhi, IA

Moved to head of thread

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 8:54 PM

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Here on the east coast , Kasasgi, K-K-Katie, and Annie's Monet were the first to bloom. Then came Lupin Peltier, kelvin floodlight and wildwood Marie. That was last year but with this crazy spring who knows what will happen!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I came back to find buds on Hawaii in a pot and Ryan C also in a pot- those formed on roughly 14 inch tall plants. I dispatched the buds, wanting the plant to get taller but those are the earliest budders out here.

Aptos, CA

My 3rd to bloom: Taratahi Lilac...

Aptos, CA

Here it is

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

Here is a better picture of "Daisy"

Thumbnail by sudhira
Delhi, IA

That Daisy is a cutie. One I might add. And the lilac is a rich shade also. With most of mine only chin high I will be a while for blooms.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I do like Daisy a lot. I have yet to imagine my first dahlia bloom, although they're all out in the sun, I mean rain, growing like weeds!

xx, Carrie

Aptos, CA

Today I can add Rose Toscano & seedling #11, 2005 to the bloom list...( the seedling really doesn't count, but it was fun to see what popped up...pictures forthcoming ).

Weather is a chilly 58 and overcast...woe is me

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, good thing you said " pictures forthcoming" because I am just pea green with dahlia bloom envy! I am lightyears away from buds here and more gloomy weather on the way.

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

I started several tubers indoors early April and transplanted them into the garden mid May, but so far O'Condah is the tallest (about 3 1/2 feet) and is now showing a bud! Hopefully, I'll be able to post a picture when it opens. Yea!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm with you Pooch, light years away! I have a few that are 2 ft tall only due to their start in the greenhouse....waiting waiting waiting!
My roses and clems are another thing. I have about 10 clems in bloom and the roses are almost ready to flower, I have never seen so many blossoms on my roses as this year, it should be quite a show.

Aptos, CA

Rose Toscano...I love the color!

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

Funky seedling...

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

Taratahi Lilac doing her thing!

Thumbnail by sudhira
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

So it's still a day or 2 away from peak. Here is my unknown white semi cactus - this one got going early and never looked back.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow, those are all beauties. I really love that Rose Toscano too, Sudhira. Jolene, I looked up OCondah and it looks to be a beauty as well. Can't wait to see more, more, more of everyone's treasures.

Aptos, CA

This morning..Mary's Jomanda...not at peak yet...pictures soon ( I forget to take the camera with me when I traverse my way down to the patch! )...

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This is my first bloom this year--just a generic Red Pygmy off the shelf at Home Depot. Wouldn't you know? Paid much for fancy ones and this is the first flower!!

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Aptos, CA

Mary's Jomanda bloomed today!

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

So did Arabian Night

Thumbnail by sudhira
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Arabian Night is nice. I lost all mine in plastic this winter - I did pick up Night Queen that looks similar.

I have Arabian Night, too, but so far it's just a pretty plant. Can't wait for all these flowers. I picked them by color -- red, yellow, white, purple. Threw in a couple of pink.

Aptos, CA

Its like waiting for presents to open...first a sprout from a tuber, then a sprout from the ground, then a bud on a plant, then a flower from the bud on the plant...then blooms in a vase!!! Hope much fun is that????

It's a lot of fun and that's why we all work so hard at it.

Delhi, IA

What a pretty shade___Arabian Night. Come on dahlias, grow, grow and bloom!!!!

My Soulman is hugely tall and has buds, so it's going to be next. It's the same color as the Arabian Night, but is a ball type. Still love the color though.

Aptos, CA

Yes, I rescued Arabian night from the corner of a garden box...So happy to have remembered it was there. As the bloom opens up, in dark intensity...well intensifies! Very nice flower!

I can't wait!!!

Delhi, IA

Mary's Jomanda is sure striking. I have a Jomanda but I bet this is a different one with the Mary in the name.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Excuse me; why do these beautiful flowers have such ugly leaves?

xxxxx, Carrie - working on my 1st batch of dahlias from Poochella

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.