Help! The rain brought Japanese beetles!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Sorry! I posted this on the other thread, but Im worried! These Beetles are now in my Vegetable garden, please, how do I get rid of them they are everywhere this morning!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sevin, liquid or dust works for me. I hate hand picking the creeps!
They're here too. DON'T get a Jap Bettle trap!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Viola, I didnt know whether Sevin was strong enough for them? I was in such a panick this morning I grabbed the first thing I could get my hands on Which is a barn spray for Horses to rid of Flies, Since my peach trees are young and no fruit I figured it was either the beetles or the spray !

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

In your veggie garden if you put the dust on the ground it will kill them as they emerge.

I like using the Bayer 3in1 products too, but I don't do veggies.

Vi

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Okay , now here is a dumb question! They are already here? in the Ground?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep, Eufaula, it is the nasty grubs that have emerged into those horrible beetles. In the past I've taken to knocking them into a container of soapy water and let it set for a day, then taking the water and throwing it around plants they love.......it actually deterred them from it......a happy test for me.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

There is only one thing beetle traps are good for, and that is for putting in the woods about 100 yards from your yard. That will lure them away from your plants, if you can do it. At least so I'm told--I never have to. A neighbor in an adjacent neighborhood puts one out every year (see it on my drive home). I'd tell her, but I've never met her, and some people don't take kindly to advice from strangers! As the crow flies, she's about 100 yds away from me, and thanks to her we never have beetles.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Try milky spore. It takes a number of years to get good control but seems to kill the grubs before they become the flying adult menaces. It worked pretty good at our last place and I need to get it down at our new place.

http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing/japanese-beetle/jbeetle.html

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_054502.htm

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thank you all!! I bought some sevin spray and sprayed evrything! I must have made them mad though with the barn spray cause when I got home they had all dissappeared! But I sprayed the heck out of everything anyway!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I sprayed my cannas and hibiscus with seven today as well. The jap bettles on the cannas and the hibiscus sawfly were on the hibiscus.. I also sprayed my tomatoes since we've had to throw out two green ones from bug damage. I really would prefer to go organically, but I'm just not there yet.

Seven will kill bees and butterflys, so you might want to selectively spray where the offenders are and leave the good bugs to be.

I did a huge search all over daves looking for info, and I agree with Vi, traps seem to bring them in by the thousands and they land on what ever is on the way (your garden) and devoure it..

Susan

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well ,something worked ,not the first beetle to be found today! That is almost too scary! I hoped the sevin would work but never thought it would that fast! I didnt spray too heavily, for fear of killing my bees and other beneficials.
This was the first year in a long time,that the honey bees and Bumble bees have been here! I have had carpenter bees out the Whazoo! So I was really happy 4 weeks ago when I actually saw a little honey bee on a squash bloom!
I think all the spraying around here for fire ants had all but killed them off!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

great links hcmcdole, thanks! :)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Does milky spore also kill other beneficial or just friendly insects that go through a larval stage, for instance, your butterflies?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

From what I read, it is just Japanese beetles. Butterflies don't lay eggs in the soil.

Fairburn, GA(Zone 7b)

We spread 40 pounds of milky spore 2 years ago and it helped. It did not totally get rid of the japanese beetles. if your neighbors don't put down milky spore then that's a problems too. milky spore only kills japanese beetle grubs.

for the mature ones, i use neem oil mixture. it's organic and you can get it from several on line stores. just do a search.

the neem spray kills them slowly but surely. good luck, skw

Owensboro, KY

Why use all of the chemicals? I have two 5 gallon buckets filled half way with water beside my tomatoes. It works everytime. This morning I awoke to Japanese Beetles, and both of the buckets have at least 50 beetles each in them.

I honestly don't know why it works, but organic farmers here in Kentucky have done it for years. It's not a 'Wive's Tale' ... just try it yourself. It works without chemicals, and the beetles drown after awhile. Give it a try. It's free, and doesn't require you spread chemicals all over your plants. As an added component I have added potassium salt to the water in previous years, but do not have any now so I will just use the water alone.

The potassium salt can be found at your local farm supply store. One of the common commercial names that I use is Schultz Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap. It is 100% organic, and comes in quart containers of concentrate. The only ingredient other than water and liquid soap is Potassium Salt. It is child, animal, vegetable, and water-way safe since it is only a natural salt found in the environment.

Thumbnail by KentuckyTracker
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, for those of us needing clarification...... You just fill the buckets up with water and the beetles jump right in? Is it soapy water? Thanks!! :)

Susan

Owensboro, KY

It doesn't have to be soapy water. Make sure that you have 5 gallon buckets half full with water. For some reason it doesn't work with smaller buckets. For the past few days I've just used regular water, and it works fine. They eventually tire out and die. I've almost rid myself of these pests for this year using this method.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

We get all the five gallon buckets we need from customers leaving them when they buy more chlorine for pools... Of course I rinse before use, but I am going to try it and I'll report back... My husband would be surprised!! And so would I!! I'd tell everyone I knew then!! Thanks!

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

This message is for Eufaula who has a Japanese Beetle problem. I heard that Four O'clocks will draw Japanese Beetles and will kill them once they get a taste.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2006 11:49 AM

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Eufala - This recommendation is for the long term as in will protect you next year - Try nematodes. I got them from GardensAlive. They are different than the "bad" nematodes. They are predators that eat the beetle grubs in the ground. They really worked well for me. I went from zillions of beetles and holes in my plants to zero in about 2 years. And - the effect lasted for years.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

What a great testimonial.. I'm doing it! I had already planned to... but it's higher on the list now :)

Susan

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'All , Im having to play "Catch Up", and finally got to read all the posts!!!
Well lets see,..... I ve got 5 gallon buckets, I just Brought home 10 beautiful Yellow Four O'Clock bushes and Im looking into getting some "Good" Nematodes!!! Does That cover it?LOL
Thanks Guys your are pure Gold!!!!! LOve LOve , Eufaula

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.