Summer Bulbs - Pictures and Discussion - Part I

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I couldn't stand it any longer! have no pics but lots of stuff close to blooming. Won't be long. I have a eucomis with a teeny tiny pineapple flower but not picture worthy yet. Do you know that Calla Green Goddess is still blooming?

Thumbnail by vossner

here is my walmart buy, "Sorpresa"

Thumbnail by vossner

another. Glad Mon Amour and a Dahlia in the foreground. (can't think of name right now)

Thumbnail by vossner
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh, Voss. Your garden is already in summer bloom!

Love your stand of glads with the dahlia. A nice combination. And a sure sign that summer is upon you.

Too early here for any nice summery bloom though. We are still indulging in spring blossom-time.

It will be a week or two before we have our lilies, I think. At least at our house. Will be gone on a trip for a while and will miss some of your posts but will check in to see your progress and hopefully have some blooms to post then.

Happy gardening. t.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I planted this last fall and can't remember what it is ? I have a lot of it coming up. 3" high. Id help? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Denver, CO

We were waiting for that, Voss. Wonderful.

The very last yellow orchid (Bletilla ochracaea). The recurving was unusual for it.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Patti, that looks like an allium to me, but not sure which since I only have one that I just got.

Denver, CO

'Cancun'

Denver, CO

The extraordinarily vigorous and divisable 'Lollipop.'

Denver, CO

Here is what to tell your gardener to do if you are going to be on a garden tour soon and are getting tired of old foliage and know better than to cut it. I did this for a friend/client of mine.

Love Cancun. I was wondering where you were. Was getting ready to write professors and tell them to lay off!

I heard about the braiding. kinda neat

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Patti I also thought Allium, the leaves on nearly all alliums die before they flower too.

Allium acuminatum looks close in form

http://www.plantbuzz.com/allium/Species/species_master.htm

Then again...not sure

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Pink%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/allium.htm

A. ostrowskianum looks just about right

http://magnar.aspaker.no/liste.htm

K., how come you can grow Bletilla outside? I had a white one which flowered once in the greenhouse, after a few years it has disappeared. It did grow to a good size, but I split it to give some away and it went downhill.

Oh I forgot! My calla lily Gem Lavender

Thumbnail by wallaby1

that's beautiful. haven't seen anything like that one around here

But you have lots more than we have!

Gladiolus communis ssp. byzantinus

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Sprekelia formosissima

Thumbnail by wallaby1

hmmmmmmmmmm

This should be Nomocharis finlayorum, but that is really tassel edged, I'm not sure which it is, it could be a cross

Thumbnail by wallaby1

mmmmmpphhh?

dutch iris, returning after about 7 years

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A royal blue one which has returned for 3 years after a long break, it is so deep and intense and impossible to capture the true depth..

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wallaby1, I checked those alliums, still not sure. I am going to cut one and bring it in and study it while looking at those sites. Why do you think your dutch iris didn't bloom for all that time? They are memorable. And that photo of sprekelia formosissima is worthy of a prize. Seeing it has me scurrying off to read about this plant. Thanks, Patti

Oh dear Patti, I have enabled again!

Dutch iris here are treated more as an annual, possibly because they split and need to mature but don't quote me on it..,, it's the same for Iris reticulata, but deep planting makes them not split so much.

Glad close up

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Yep, it is now in my wanted file and I love that it is know as a Jacobean lily. Is that intense dutch iris Professor Blauw? I once had it and it was a blinding blue. Now I see that I most likely I didn't plant it deep enough, or perhaps it is lurking. I studied the allium and you are absolutely correct in allium ostrowskianum ( now according to one source, allium oreophilum or pink lily leek or mountain lover) I am not sure that being planted at about 50' above sea level it will be very happy in my garden. Patti

It could be P Blauw, they were a free mix. That one has clumped up well now and has more than one stem, they also make more than one flower per stem. I think they stay around better if not disturbed, my neighbour had some and his have disappeared, but his were yellow.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I also have fallen in love with sprekelia formosissima!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

bbrookrd,
Is there a chance your unidentified pic way up this thread is a Triteleia, there's a variety that appears similar - 'T.4u'.

Just bought a sprekelia formosissima on sale to join my hippeastrum group. Wallaby, can you tell us more about the nomocharis?

boojum that is where I got it from! That was autumn 04, N. saluenensis wasn't in their catalogue then. I just got an email this morning saying their new autumn catalogue was online, so they must have substituted it for that, it did flower last year so I wonder if they had trialled a few first. N finlayorum, as you see, is totally different and very desirable, although this one is nice. There is someone in Scotland that has bred them and crossed species, I read quite a bit about them possibly from rareplants site before they had online ordering, they had really good links to pictures and other things. Funny enough they are now stating that you can order online but not pay on line, they must have had problems, it's a pain to have to ring them and I don't have fax. Lazy I know but don't we like simplicity.

Nomocharis is in China, there is a site you can find some on Yen Li I think it's called but can't find it, they sell all sorts of bulbs. Rareplants grow their own. They're a member of the lily family.

http://hengduan.huh.harvard.edu/fieldnotes/specimens/specimen_report?
format=short&quicksearch=1&qsterm=Nomocharis

Last years shot, it was shorter then!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

There was a map on that link, but it asks you to log in!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, that Nomocharis is beautiful, and completely new to me. It looks like a cross between a lily and a hellebore to me, so of course I love it-2 of my favorites!

Neal rareplants do overseas mail order, not sure if America is included. I have seed making on the Lathyrus vernus, so....I will have to watch it, it pops easily.

My drac is making a spathe, the panes of glass are 2' tall

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I got 2 baby Arisaema ciliatum about 5 years ago, they were tiny, only about 3/16" diam. One rotted, the other grew. Now it's making a spathe!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I grew Ixia viridiflora from seed 2 years ago, I have 2 with flower spikes. The first one is opening, but they look a bit damaged. But they are the right colour, this colour is true

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Denver, CO

It has taken me some time to recover from those pictures. All of them. That Ixia is nuts. Awesome. Congrats on the Drac and Ariseama. I second that you submit the Sprekelia into a contest...

Let us have a look at a native Genus here.

Calochortus venustus.

Denver, CO

closer

Denver, CO

I had not noticed this about the sepals before.

Denver, CO

At the end of last month, my robust and favorite Dracunculus bloomed. I was too busy to post the pictures then.

sunrise:

Denver, CO

Big plant; I was so pleased.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.