Need groundcover advise

Uniontown, OH

I need an aggressive cover for shady/damp area. I know I'm asking for something everyone is trying to get rid of but..... I've looked into Bishop's weed, Sweet Woodruff, etc. but always find conflicting ops. I'm looking to QUICKLY choke out EVERYTHING except the full grown Oak and Walnut trees. Thanks for any help!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have something that would work but I can't remember the name of it. It has light to medium green leaves and gets yellow flowers on it. As soon as I remember what it is I'll let you know.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I still don't have a name but the leaves have a rubbery texture and the flowers are star shaped.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

how about creeping jenny

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I use what is called Gill Over the Ground. It has rounded leaves with sort of pinking shear type edges. Grows rapidly, can choke out most other plants by forming a dense mat. Strong odor up close helps to deter most insects. Most people hate it and do their best to kill it out but I love it. I don't remember the botanical name but if you look up Gill Over the Ground I think you will find it. It may also be called Creeping Jenny. It has small blue flowers,

Saint Louis, MO

Pachysandra has yellow flowers, and it doesn't climb trees (I'm pretty sure). There is an Asian type and a native type, but I'm not sure which one is more aggressive. I'd bet the Asian one is.

Lori

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Vinca minor is very vigorous here. I have ended up with it in places I didn't even plant it, from thrown away weedings. I don't think it cares whether it is damp, or dry!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have heard that Vinca Minor is aggresive but it hasn't proven true for a neighbor and I. We thought it would never spread from the little starts we had. Took about 4 - 5 years to finally get going. Even now it is slowly multiplying.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I have tons of Vinca Minor, the regular one. Then I have tried starting the variegated and the different colors of purple flowers ones.

Regular vinca minor is taking over, now I want to put hostas in there and am pulling it out and tossing it.

Susan
=^..^=

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2164/index.html

Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata)

It is my understanding it is slow to come up, however I've been told it will take over and it is hard to get rid of. I had to completely remove all dirt in a raise bed, and replace with fresh, in order to place coral bells, and hosta.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I know just the plant! Try the regular ajuga (also called bugle weed). There is a varigated type but it is not as hardy. This is a great plant if you do not mind invasive. It will grow in near drought conditions to growing in areas that stay constantly wet. For me it grows equally well in full sun to full shade. I keep finding it in places that it has no right to survive in! LOL It is also very attractive and has spikes of blue flowers in the spring. It grows very quickly and is easy to find at garden centers.

Lees Summit, MO(Zone 5b)

Ajuga is a very pretty type, although unless you find a generous soul on here or ebay who has divisions to send you, it's expensive in garden centers and nurseries. Try the regular, and Catlin's giant is also very pretty. For a less-invasive go with Chocolate Chip, maybe as an edging for the others?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I use the variegated Vinca major in one of my front beds and have been very pleased with it. It has been in there five years now and it doesn't seem to bother the other perennials in the bed. I think this could be invasive if it was grown in a spot where it didn't have good bounds but since I mow around the bed it has stayed put and has made such a good ground cover I haven't had to mulch the bed in two years. I pulled two weeds out of there this spring and that is amazing to me. . I have some lilies, hosta, and a peony growing in the same bed.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

gooseneck loosestrife is another ground cover. Tends to multiply rapidly (ie invasive) where it is not in dry soil under trees.

I also have vinca and Snow-on-the-mountain. I've had problems with killing both of these out of my yard. Might look into these also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.