Actually in need of aggressive cover!

Uniontown, OH

I need an aggressive cover for shady/damp area. I know I'm asking for something everyone is trying to get rid of but..... I've looked into Bishop's weed, Sweet Woodruff, etc. but always find conflicting ops. I'm looking to QUICKLY choke out EVERYTHING except the full grown oak and Walnut trees. Thanks for any help!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I like sweet woodruff for shade, myself. It's lovely. What about creeping buttercups -- ranunculus repens? I have 'buttered popcorn' and it's a real beauty. I'm not sure how it would do in shade. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76758/index.html

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

DON'T use english ivy. Not only will it smother everything on the ground, it will eventually choke out your trees, too. I have buttercups (sp?) in a morning shade/afternoon sun damp/wet area and they do just fine.

pam

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ditto regarding the ivy!

Cincinnati, OH

Try creeping Myrtle, It is great for shady areas, has a nice blue flower, and pretty dark green leaves. We started with one little plant at my mothers, her flower bed was in the shadow of a very large golden Rain tree. Now it has taken over a 10 by 3 foot area. We moved one plant two years ago to the other side and now it has grown to about 5 by 3 foot. It also doesn't get high.

Kelly

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Good idea about the myrtle. I've got some in a shady area, and it's lovely to see the flowers. It stays pretty neat, too. I've got vinca major as well, which also is pretty when flowering, but it's too aggressive for my tastes and needs. I'm always trimming it and pulling it.

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Chameleon Plant will do the trick. And it is pretty. As for me, I am trying to get rid of it.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2164/index.html

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have chameleon plant in a container in our pond. Pretty plant, but I wouldn't put it in the ground.

What about Euonymus fortunei -- winter creeper? It is VERY invasive, but if the area is one you can contain via mowing, it might work for you. Our next door neighbor has it along the property line. Now that their old fence is down, it'll be interesting to see how quickly it spreads into our yard. I don't mind if it comes in beneath our fir trees, but that's its limit.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

You may want to consider your soil when deciding what groundcover to use. I have some very lean, sandy, rocky areas where I use more aggressive plants (like Chameleon plant), but the deficient soil keeps them from spreading much. In other areas I have deep, frothy sandy loam where I dare not take a chance on anything remotely aggressive. Lamium 'White Nancy' and 'Beacon Silver' have been among my favorites and while spreading quickly, they've been easy to keep in bounds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.