Anyone use garlic powder to repel hornworms?

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

I sprinkled garlic powder around my peppers and tomatoes, and squash. Has anyone else done this to repel hornworms and other pests? Hope I haven't done anything detrimental, just trying to keep things organic as much as possible. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have never heard of repelling worms with garlic powder, but I don't see how garlic can hurt anything. On the other hand, hornworms come from moths which are airborne so I doubt garlic on the ground would repel them. I don't even know if they would dislike garlic -- I don't.
There is an organic product you can buy that does a terrific job on any kind of caterpillar. It is a bacteria which basically makes your caterpillars quit eating, get sick, and die. It won't hurt people, pets or birds or anything but caterpillars -- cabbage loopers as well. I did once know someone who was allergic to it.
It is commonly referred to as BT and comes in several brands. I really like the Dipel dust version because it doesn't have to be mixed with water, but don't breathe it. Any sort of powder in the lungs, including plain old wheat flour, will be very hard on the lungs.

http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/52.html

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

Just be sure NOT to use garlic SALT (until after you harvest and only on the vegetables, yum).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.