Varigated Porcelain Vine 'Elegans' not invasive?

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

This variety is supposidly not as invasive as the other variety.
I talked to somebody about it and they said its less invasive than a Trumpet Vine
and not a problem like it is in the south.
Your input welcome.

Spokane, WA

A. brevipedunculata is a highly invasive species. "Elegans" is less vigorous, but still very invasive. I It may be prohibited in your area; I know that Massachusetts prohibits the Elegans cultivar. Here are some links for more general information on A. brevipedunculata.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/ampbre/ampbre3.html
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/biology/plants/Pages/Ampelopsis%20brevipedunculata.htm

Good point bensjd.

Thanks...I almost got it based on what i was told... that its not as invasive as Wisteria or Trumpet Vine here in Michigan.
I wonder why they told me that?

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Because they wanted you to buy it. My girlfriend put one in her very rear yard. That thing reminds me of kudzu. I think you can watch it grow.

Wauconda, IL

It's a shame when something so pretty is so bad! I almost bought it several times, LOL!

I resisted and didn't buy it but I hate conflicting information.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It is most certainly invasive in zone 5. I am still fighting the progeny from mine. I eradicated the main vine last spring. The seedlings are still appearing. It grew fifteen feet in one season. The roots traveled over four feet as far as I could tell. I destroyed some nice plant material in my efforts to get it out but it had to be done. This stuff has the potential to be the kudzu of the north. I purchased it from Home Depot. I am embarassed that I didn't investigate before I bought. I wrote Home Depot last year and received a nice response that said their regional buyers do try to avoid plant material that is listed as invasive. I was very dissapointed to see it for sale again this season at the same store. I will never again buy any perennial without first determining its habits and potential.

I guess I made the right decision.
Thank you all for your advise.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I have 2 and they are'nt any problem for me...They are about 5 yrs.old and just love them with the varigated lacey leaves...They die back in the winter and sprout in late Spring...

The conflicting information is often times a direct result of people who love the plant not being afforded the luxury of observing a plant's ability to reproduce uncontrolled beyond their own yards. Seed of undesirables that germinate in residential areas is often mowed down when lawns are cut and seedlings that end up in beds are weeded out hence the plant truly may not be a problem for them. It's when seed of plants such as the Porcelain Berry Vine (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata) and its cultivars such as the variegated Porcelain Berry Vine "Elegans" get dispersed beyond our well maintained neighborhoods that there are issues. The fruit of A. brevipedunculata is eaten by birds and they do poop it out and the birds aren't all that discriminating about where they eliminate. The fruit of this plant is also eaten by other critters that eliminate it in areas that may not be maintained as well as a home landscape.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.