How many hummers have you?

I have none. Zip nadda zilch zero. I do have a lone hummingbird feeder up though. Thanks for the article. I'll read it and print it off for the kids. We keep hoping that we'll attract a hummer or two but so far no go.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We get lots of hummers and they get mad if there is nothing out there for them. Come up to the window, look at us, fly back to the feeder, back to the window. Back and forth til we get the message and fill it back up.

Peoria, IL

I only have a couple hummers. I feed them naturally with flowers. The feed off alot stuff in my yard, currently they are feeding on columbine in my rain garden and the fuschia in the hanging baskets. When the columbine are done blooming the coneflowers are usually blooming and then they will feed on those.

I also grow penstamonen, royal catchfly and cardinal flowers. Those plants are supposed to be hummer favorites, but in my experience they seem to feed more off the coneflowers than they do those other plants.

I have learned from my mother that I do not want feeders. She has so many hummers coming to her feeders, its very annoying. And if the feeders are not full - they pester her until she feeds them. During peak feeding periods - my mom's hummers will empty a large feeder in a single day. They buzz around defending their feeders and its kind of scary.

I spotted one zipping through here last year and it was by my cone flowers! Yay! I'd still like to have a hummer feeding frenzy here and I wouldn't mind filling the feeder daily.

We also have hummer friendly plants and they feed off those too.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I used to have a lot at both previous homes. I love it when they come to a window to tell me I'm low on food. Or when I'm outside and they just get almost in my face...like they're checking me out. I spotted one last year here. I haven't seen any this year :(

Peoria, IL

I do like it when they hover in my face while I am weeding a flower bed. They are looking at me as if to say "Aren't you done yet, I need to get in there to eat!"

And if you speak in a very low voice, they 'listen' to you! Man I want some hummers!

I talk to everything, so don't mind me.....I'll be the one speaking to the leaf over yonder :o)

They don't hover in our face. They fly by real fast and come close to hitting us. It's like they're saying we own this place you don't so get out of our way. We just stand our ground and say we own this place we are the ones who feed you so behave!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I put in my hummingbird garden last year, and my next door neighbor did, too. Nothing we planned, we just have similar interests. She also has a feeder. I was suprised when I walked out to get the mail one day and one just got right right in my face on the front porch. I guess I just didn't expect something so tiny to be so bold. I am going to put up a feeder or 2 in addition to the plantings. My dh is disabled and the garden is a ways from the house. I want him to be able to enjoy these little jewels as well.

Newton, MA(Zone 6a)

If you have no hummers, try planting things like red petunias or salvia. You may have them and not know it. I had one buzzing my ear the other day. When I was in NC one year on vacation I couldn't believe how many hummers were there. It was like rush hour traffic at the feeder. They are very territorial, so they were really not happy to be running into one another.

Our hummers are mad at us right now. My dad has refused to fill their feeder cause we have an oriole feeder out there and he wants them to eat from that for now. A few have but most come and stare at us in the window and tell us they want their food back!! Very funny to watch.

I got a hummingbird, I got a hummingbird....na na na na na na! Can you see my smile from ear to ear??

I still have none. I did see one last year though. I planted Salvia, still no hummers. Why is everyone getting them except me. I feel so deprived.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

terryr, I just had to laugh at your comment about talking to "everything". It reminded me of my thoughts this weekend when I was pulling up Curly dock by the creek on Saturday. I accidentally sat on a goldenrod and said, outloud, "Sorry, Mr. Goldenrod". At the time, it got me thinking about how I talk to my plants and almost always call them "Mr" so-in-so or "Miss" so-in-so. Then I was thinking about how I talk to the birds too, even if they are way too far away to hear me... "You sure are vocal today Mr. Mockingbird" LOL Anyone want to join me on the funny farm??

Anyway, back to hummers :)... I have one feeder up at the new place. I have seen one female at the feeder every couple days. I have been filling it about 1/4 full and by the time it's time to clean it out every 5 days, I can barely see a difference in level. Because of this, I assume she was the only one coming to the feeder.... until Saturday. Saturday morning a second hummingbird buzzed the feeder while my usual hummer was perched there. I refilled it Sunday morning and yesterday I noticed it was almost empty. I must have more around now! I wish I did not have to work so I could watch the feeder for the others. Hopefully I will have time to watch it after work.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Also, Sweezel .. Ref: your hummer feeder ..
Not saying it IS, mindja - but, ya may be a bit privvy to getting a visit from an Oriole or two. They'll jes about suck 'em dry .. in no time!! And unless you get lucky enuff to catch a glimpse of them; there's no other tell-tale signs .. other than, a seemingly remarkably quick loss of hummer 'juice'!!

Such was the case .. when we 'discovered' that the Orioles were here again, this year.

Just seemed that there was no way .. for any 3 or 4 hummers .. to practically deplete two hummer feeders so doggone fast. And sure nuff .. took me peering out thru slightly opened mini-blinds to catch 'em .. red-handed (make that 'yeller' feathered/beaked/handed) ... lol

'Bout that funny farm:
Welllll, sweezel .. mine's been established for some time now. Jes c'mon up. Da gate's open, kiddo! (heehee)

.. LOL ..

((huggs, all))

- Magpye

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Orioles would be so cool. I saw one about a month ago across town. It was the first one I had seen around here, but they are supposed to come through during migration.

Yep sweezel....Mr, Miss, Mrs, baby, sweetie, honey-pie......my list goes on and on.... Ya mean we aren't at the funny farm yet? My dad really loves it when my husband and I are out at their place, trying to rid it of all the invasives. I'll say "take that!" or "HA! You think you can beat me?" as I'm cutting down a honeysuckle or multiflora rose........I've been known to curse at them too. My dad finally realized I wasn't talking to him :o)

Terry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.