Okay, Who Are You Anyway?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

A sweet Dg member gifted me with a group of 5 Kaspareks plus this incredible gem last fall. It was supposed to be "Serengetti Spagetti" , but turned out to be even MORE interesting.

First it bloomed cream with red & viloet irregular streaks...

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

And yesterday, it bloomed white with HUGE violet streaks & areas (same stalk). No two falls even close to the same. Anyone know the name of this gem?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

hm.. sure lovely ..

We're going right to Kasparek and asking him if he recognizes her. I love the brightly marked falls. Best example of streaking I've ever seen.

Oh, come on. SOMEONE must have seen this one somewhere....

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

In my mind's eye, SS is a violet that one time can be reddish and others purplish. I don't personally grow it but yours looks similar to what I've seen id'd as SS at a local seller.

http://www.zebrairis.com/Serengeti%20spaghetti.htm

Philadelphia, PA

Could it be Calico Kid ?

I just don't know--the color of BOTH blooms were soo far off from what I expected .

Kasparek lists it at : "Clear dawn pink standards with silver-white streaking, ruffled, semi-flaring, dawn pink falls overlaid with a spirea- red and beet-root purple, modified silver-white streaking, lightly laced orange-red style arms, tangerine beards."

Maybe Serengetti Spahgetti" is just really changeable?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I had a doodle strudel once that bloomed perfectly solid and really messed up my mind trying to figure out which lovely new iris dropped into the middle of it. Then again, I have a Ziggy that's not very Ziggy only zaggy, beautiful but not much break involved. Beetroot sorta has a purplish implication as far as pink, well your guess is a good as mine. Still it's a lovely Broken color you have.

Appleton, WI

I dispaired of having any bloom this year, but was pleased with this.

Thumbnail by synergy

Lovley bl;ooms! Is that "Total Obsession" & "Mystique" in that clump?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wanda, it reminds me a lot of my Anaconda Love. Mine varies a lot in coloring and one bloom this year looked a lot like your second photo. It is shorter than most of my tall bearded ones. See what you think.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55634/index.html

Susan

My Anaconda Love bloomed with rosy pink standardstop and streaked ruby falls in another part of the bed. This one was almost pure white with BRIGHT beetroot & purple streaks. Maybe just a variation on the theme? Next year will tell me more as it settles in and has more roots.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I was just reading about broken color in the World of Irises. It describes a cultivar of Keppel's called "Humoresque", which is "unusual in that all flowers on a stem will be much the same in color pattern, but the difference from stem to stem can be quite striking, ranging from white with a few violet splashes to violet with a few white splashes" It is caused by an unstable color gene, which causes the variability.

Add in beet red slpashes and changing base color from cream to white? Wierd. I'll be interested to see what it does next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.