What do you eat from the garden?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I was just reading some garden thingee and it mentioned that daylilly buds are delicious sauteed in butter with an herb or two thrown in. Who knew? Then I googled "food in yard" or something like that, and didn't find much, but did find out that Dogwood fruits are edible, and in fact Kousa Dogwood fruits are actually tasty enough to make jellies and jams. Again, wowee. This reminded me that my mom used to tell us that back in the depression they'd put on their garden gloves, harvest young thistle plants from the fields, pull all of the thorny parts off, and eat them as salad. We didn't believe her (we were kids, okay?) so she actually made a salad of them for us, with just vinegar, salt and pepper. Not bad, as I recall. So, what do you eat from your garden that's not the usual veggie? By the by, I've heard of Poke salat, but not sure what it looks like. Anybody got a photo? Sheila

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sheila, as long as you don't use pesticides in your garden there are lots of edibles........lilies, roses, violets. I'm sure there are many more but those are the ones that come to mind at once.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I remember hearing about rose petals, and rose hips being edible, but there's something about immature rose hips? Are you supposed to wait to eat them? I'm such a geek--find all this stuff fascinating.

We don't much eat flowers. I mostly eat vegetables that are planted, and herbs of course.
Squash blossoms are heavenly stuffed and fried. I don't eat them anymore. But when I was young and skinny and my Italian friends' mom make them, I was the first one to the table!!

GGG

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Just make sure that bees aren't trapped inside the squash blossoms, when I plucked one that was closed up, I got stung.

As for me, tomatoes, onions, herbs, and pumpkins.

Summerville, GA

Soupcon, Shelia, there is a picture of poke slald on this site,just scroll down near the bottom after you click on it. It also has some good info. about it as well .You will find some other interesting,great southern cooking info. Check it out: www.bama.ua.edu/~bgray/recipes2.htm

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't eat many flowers but nasturtiums- both the leaf and flower- are great in salads.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info, y'all. Had fun reading all about poke salad. How interesting that it's not all that safe to eat. 'Course they say apples have arsenic in them, too.

Never had nasturtiums or squash blossoms, though I've heard of both of those delicacies. I think I saw nasturtium blossoms for sale at an organic farmer's market once. Quite expensive. Would be fun to grow them, though. Wonder if the deer would eat them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.