Perennials for spreading.

Central West (Rural), Australia

Could you please suggest plants that can be devided

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Do you have in mind something low like a groundcover, or just anything?

Susan

Hi Susan,
Anything and everything please,even bulbs, ground covers included,
I have a big area to fill.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Guess the first thing to do is to find out what grows well in your climate! What zone are you? "Wagga Wagga" Australia - love the name!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Daylilies, phlox of all kinds, agugas, creeping jenny, scabiosas, Iris, salvias, mums, sedums, ornamental grasses, geraniums and hostas are what come to my mind first. I have divided all of them many times. So much depends on what grows well where you are.

Susan

Thank you ,Wagga Wagga means "place of many crows"
We dont have zones, so I am not familiar,with the concept.
We have regions, that are tropical, have good rain fall, and,( where I live) drought country. Most plants grow in most states,but some are more adaptable and successful depending on the climate of the state they are in.
You have given me a great selection and I recognise many,most plants grow here,you just have to know their needs.Our beautiful Golden Elms and some Natives are suffering badly, due to the drought,the lack of moisture attracts the beetle,its deadly enemy. Anyway....I guess I really wanted to know, which plants could be devided,so many thanks, Loris.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Our zones are based on the lowest temp you typically get in winter--if you know what your typical lowest winter temperature is, then an easy way to figure out your zone is to go to Plant Files and find a plant that lists what zones it's hardy to, then after each zone it lists in parentheses what the low temperature for that zone is. The problem with the zones though is that they don't account for things like rainfall--I'm in zone 9b and so are some people in the southeastern US, but there's no way I could grow some of their plants and vice versa because they have much more rain and humidity all year long than I do.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Goldenelm, Ferrymead's been looking for people down under to hook up with. If you haven't already, you should contact him/her. There was some talk of trying to get a Down Under forum going.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's the link to Ferrymead's thread.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/609034/

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Would we have to post upside down on that forum? (SORRY)

Goldenelm, In addition to what has been listed: lamb's ear & echinacea (purple cone flower), lamium all spread well and do well w/o much water,monarda, and rudbeckia, rugosa rose also spread well.
Dave

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Obedient plant. Spreads like crazy and is extremely drought tolerant. Same is true for the perennial salvias.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I love Verbena Rigida for it's toughness, spreading and brilliant purple, I dig clumps from it's outer edges as it spreads Verbena "Homestead Purple" spreads and roots as it goes, roots easily from cuttings, yes, daylilies grow quickly and can be divided and spread so easily. I love Wagga Wagga also, really like crows and had been thinking of naming our place, we have a lot of crows....you see where I 'm going here?
Sherry

Indianapolis, IN

My friend, Maggie, is my gardening on the cheap heroine. She has a huge garden and has spent little money. You might want to try some of her tricks.
1. Amend your soil with a lot of organic matter. She uses chopped up leaves and old horse manure.
2. Ask all your garening friends for starts of their perennials. Offer to help them divide their overgrown plants.
3. Let your perennials go to seed the first couple of years. When the seedheads are brown and crispy, pick them and crush the seedheads over a new area where you want the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.