Atlanta Sun

Woodstock, GA

After reading all postings, I'm guessing that I dug a giant hole
for nothing. Being that the Japenese Maple I was planning
on purchasing will not survive the our southern full day sun.

Right or wrong?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

what variety of cultivar???..how much leaf burn would you put up with ??? and it gets NO SHADE at all you live in Ga not the great salt lake right ???? and yes it would do better in part shade but may do ok .... alot of JM's are grown down there and i'm sure many are in full sun..not ideal but then we don't always have a choice... I'm sure once you supply these answers some one from that area will respond...I can't believe it could be much sunnier and hotter than Doss's place ;>0000 ...or you could just consider it good exercise and find another spot ..but seriously I think depending on what you are planting it MAY be ok ...not ideal but OK...more info please!!!! david

South San Francisco, CA

Honeysprings

I have seen Maples in full sun in Modesto, CA where summer temps are regularly over 100 degrees. And it is a dry 100. I would think with the humidity you would be okay, agreeing with myersphcf that variety will have a lot to do with it.

I just had this same question posed to me the other day from a Georgia resident. Did you recently "Ask Bob"??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Honeysprings, I bow to the wisdom of the boys. It depends on the cultivar and how you introduce it into the sun. Nurserydude is busy 'hardening' off a tree for me right now by introducing it to sun gradually.

The tree in the photo only gets very late shade in the afternoon and will soon not have the shade of the house. It is in a southern exposure on a hot patio, but it's a seedling (ungrafted) maple and it can handle just about anything except dry hot wind. Then it leaf burns but is basically fine.

Thumbnail by doss
Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Honeysprings.......since you are just up the road a bit, I'll throw my 2 cents in also, lol.

I have all my japanese maples out in full sun, all day. They are protected from winds.
The first season, they did get a little 'crispy' but subsquent summers they have done just fine. Growing very well! I made sure they had really good drainage and tended to keep them well watered that first year.

I have about 6 different cultivars.

Good luck!
carole

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Flamingo ...it might have helped if you named your cultivars I heard the drum roll ...not the "punch line"...come on fess up !!! David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.