Anyone know what this is??

Bettendorf, IA

This is sticking out of the ground and seems to be growing from a small pod-like thing thatis round and looks a bit like an eyeball. I am guessing a mushroom but I have never seen such a thing. There were (are still???? yikes!) several of the little "balls" in the mulch that look like a round regular store bought mushroom but when you open them are creamy colored and gooey inside. I found many of them when I was planting a flat of annuals and just removed and threw them out. Apparently this is what they turn into. Should I be scared? LOL

Thumbnail by pegzhere
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't know what that is but I hope I never see one in person. Looks like gooey fingers or something. UGH!

Ballwin, MO

Have you called NASA? It looks like some alien being sprouting from your soil to prepare a takeover!LOL! What is it with these nasty looking mushrooms?

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Mind you I'm no expert, but the nearest thing I can find to it in my feild guide is " Elegant Stinkhorn". The green slime is the spore mass, and it has a fetid odor. It is usually found from July to September Quebec south to Flordia and west to the Great Lakes.

Elegant? They call that elegant? I think someone needs to rename it to stinky, ugly fingers from outer space.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Mutinus elegans.

Bettendorf, IA

~~~~~~ Have you called NASA? It looks like some alien being sprouting from your soil to prepare a takeover!LOL! What is it with these nasty looking mushrooms? ~~~~~~

I literally LOL reading this! That is exactly what I felt like. When we first found it my reflex action was to tell the kids "back away - don't go near that!" Later when I found where there were little ball like mushrooms where this thing comes from we went hunting for them and filled 2 6" pots. I hope/pray I got most of them. For sure I didn't though and they are out there...lurking...waiting...

Where do they find that it should be called elegans by the way. Nothing elegant about this stinky, slimy thing!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 11:26 PM

I totally agree!! They should call them the stinky ugly fingers from outer space. Anyone who thinks those are elegant are just plum crazy!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well your all wrong. It is without a doubt Audry. It should be saying feed me feed me soon.

Ballwin, MO

Audry! You're right - "Feed me, Seymore, feed me all night long." Any sadistic dentists on motorcycles in your neighborhood? They make good plant food

Bettendorf, IA

We have been on daily "stinky mushroom" hunts and are still clearing away those little white balls. Inevitably one sprouts, though into a mushroom and I guess has had long enough to spread some spores. I think this will be part of my daily gardening routine. UGH!

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

If you examine one closely, you'll see a small, white "string". *That's* actually the fungus. You'll want to get the whole thing, and especially the green "slime". That would be the spores.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.