Do Aliums work in the shade?

Bettendorf, IA

Someone is doing a co-op for aliiums and I love them but when I look them up it says sun or maybe sun/partial shade. Anyone been successful with alium in the shade (zone 5)? What kind?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Depends on how much shade you are talking about. I have several giganteum..siculum, christophii, caeruleum. None are in FULL sun...only getting about 4 hours a day. They do fairly well, but when I see them in a full sun garden...WOW. there is a big difference.

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks for your experience. I ordered some and will try them in the sunniest spot at one edge of my shade. They should get a few hours a day and then dappled the rest of the time. Live and learn, right?

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 9:30 AM

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I think moisture and probably soil richness are factors, too. I have giganteum and purple sensation growing in almost total shade (early morning sun only). The ones directly under trees competing for moisture and nutrients are smaller, but those in equally shady conditions in a raised bed with better soil and without tree roots are as large as the ones I have in the sun.

Bettendorf, IA

That is very promising to hear - thanks!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Some of my alliums only get a few hours of morning sun and they do fine. Worth a try eh?

Northern, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine have done fine in shade with tree root competition! I've got a. triquetrum.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

pegzhere, I have 'Schubertii', 'Hair', & 'Blue Drumstick' aliums in my shadiest garden which gets a small dash of morning sun then a few hours, maybe 3-4 hrs. in the afternoon. They were late in starting but are coming along fine now.

The 'Hair' and the 'Blue Drumstick' are yet to reach their peak but the 'Schubertii' has made a glorious showing.

Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Bettendorf, IA

Yeah!! Beautiful picture Joan.

Keep the good news coming since I went ahead and ordered some :)

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Good luch Pegahere. I'll post the others when they are at their peak. Just dying to see the Hair. :)

Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.