Spring Hill Nursery?? Any opinions?

Bettendorf, IA

A friend gave me a catalog to find ideas. Reading about and looking on the internet makes me so tempted to order. I don't know my local nurseries and what they offer that well (yet). Does anyone here order from there? The $25 coupon has me very tempted....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

There are many better ones.

Chester County, PA(Zone 6b)

I have had Very good luck with SpringHill. They guarentee their plants so if you have a problem, they will replace them. I recommend them highly.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi Peggy, The Garden Watchdog will give you an idea of how DGers have done with this company. http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/188/

I think they are really hit or miss, but to be fair, they are better than quite a few of the other huge mail-order nurseries. Sometimes they send really nice plants. Sometimes they send dried twigs. They always replace what you lose, but it can be a hassle. I personally don't use them anymore, but I have in the past. If you are fairly new to gardening, it isn't a bad place to order and try out new plants for a good price, but alternatively, if you want to try out new plants that you're unsure about, you'd probably be better off trying out sales and deals from the more specialized nurseries, such as those on the Garden Watchdog Top 30: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

I can help you pick out some other nurseries if you have something specific in mind, as can many other DGers.

-Greg

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks for the input and links. They have some good "shade garden" plans on sale that I might try.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I've bought perennials from them when they've had good coupon offers, and have generally been pleased. They don't have anything unusual on offer, but can be a pretty good source for the commonly seen plants at good prices.

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Concerning mail order, I ordered from Burpee in March 2006 so I had no idea what my local nurseries had in stock. Well, I now wish I had waited :*( After walking through 3 or so local stores I realized that I could have bought locally for 65-75% less per plant that were bigger and healthier! Some plants on line go for $8+ when locally they were $2.79. A lot of them showed up small, shriveled and yellow. I am suggesting you take a stroll through a couple stores before ordering plants through the mail.

intercessor

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

generally speaking if you are trying to add alot of new plants to your garden, check your local nurseries first to see if they have what you are looking for...particularly this time of year you will find alot of them have reduced their perennials and you can really get some deals...I only order from mail order when I want something I can't find locally. then you don't have the shipping and handling etc. which can add quite a bit to the cost. Having said that...i do and have ordered many many plants from mail order over the years. I personally have not had good experience with Spring Hill but again it is a hit or miss thing. Roslyn Nursery and Arrowhead Alpines have a huge selection and almost always you can find the unusual things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.