Rhubarb help please

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

Last year I planted rhubarb for the first time. This year, I think I am supposed to cut some of the stalks. Here is my question, I have some huge 3' stalks with teeny, tiny white flowers and I'm wondering if I should cut those stalks in half, or cut out the smaller ones below? I know I can't really eat it until year 3, so any help to get the "barb" through this season would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

Megan

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Megan.. Usually when Rhubarb are the age yours are they can tolerate some Light harvesting. In other words.,. you can cut some stalks but shouldn't cut them all.. I don't think it matters which ones you cut. The smaller ones will be more tender but again It doesn't really matter.. WIll you have enough to use in a recipe if you only cut part?? Cause if you won't then I would just leave it alone til next year and then cut to your heart's delight

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi Jazz,

Thank you. Yes, I feel like I have plenty to harvest, but it's not red yet so I guess I will try some when I see some red (yum). What was concerning me was that above the leaves, there were 2 stalks that were about 2 feet higher than the rest of the plant and they were green with flowers. I decided to snip them off and the plant seems to be doing fine.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hmm.. yes.. they probably dont' need to spend energy on flowers..good idea.. ya know I don't think I have ever seen a rhubarb flower.. it probably never got that far here..lol..

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

It's a good idea to cut the flower stalk off completely so the plant puts more energy into growing leaves. You can eat the small geen stalks (petioles) of the leaves that are attached to the flower stalk. After cooking they taste just like the larger red stalks and they are no more poisonous that other parts of the plant. I had some for dessert last night and it tasted just fine.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I planted this in 1984 and I thought it was a rhubarb, but it has no red in the stems. So we have never eaten it. I just let it flower and then enjoy the foliage. What is it? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi Patti,

Yep, that'z exactly the same thing I had with those tall stalks with the flowers. But, mine is only a 2nd year rhubarb and I knew I had to cut it back but I couldn't remember how to do it. You see those TALL stalks that are flowering over the leaves? Those are the ones I cut back. I'm pretty confident now that you should be doing that too, particularly since you haven't had any red stalks in all this time. Any other thoughts room?

Megan

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hmm maybe there are different varieties of Rhubarb just like everything else? I am sure some experienced person here knows.. (going off to google)

Edited to say:

AHA!! Found this on Rhubarbinfo.com...

"Rhubarb stalks grow in a spectrum of colors from red to green. In between colors are often called pink or speckled.
A deep red petiole is the more popular among consumers, but these plants are often accompanied by poor growth and yield. Green varieties are often much more productive. Consumers also often assume the red stemmed rhubarb is sweeter than other colors but color and sweetness are not necessarily related. The Victoria variety, which is probably the greenest variety, can produce some very sweet stems. "

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 8:01 AM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

jazzpunkin, just think of all the pies I didn't bake. Thanks for the research. I'll be checking on if after the rhubarb flowers is it too late to use the stalks for cooking? Patti

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

bbrookrd, you are welcome and I don't think it's ever too late!

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

How interesting bbrookrd! Thank you for taking the time to find out about both types (green and red) of rhubarb. Now I want to find some green ones too!!

:)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

lafko06, I'll see if I can start some from seed or divide this monster for a bit for you in the late summer or fall. A good excuse to drive to Brimfield! Patti

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

That would be awesome, thank you!! I never even thought of collecting the seeds from my flowers, I will go check and see and I can send you some if you want? :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.