ORVG Roll Call #2

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As the first thread is getting a bit long.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/569773/

Here's the continuation.
Welcome KK1010!
Lots of Cincy people popping in.

Ric

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 8:02 AM

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

I am here also. 90 miles northeast of Columbus.
Jenniew

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooh, we love Rosco Village. That Warehouse restaurant is so neat. :)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome KAYKAY

Thanks Henry!
Kathy

Cincinnati, OH

Im so excited to have found this site! Im an avid gardener in any free time that I can find. My loves are any kind of plant that I can grow ;-)
Im from cincinnati and have some gardens scattered around town. I will have lots of pics of daylilies to help identify as ive inherited about 8-10,000 fans. WHAT FUN! I look forward to learning a lot from ya'll!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Did you say 8,000-10,000 fans? Oh how much fun. I am a new daylily addict, and would love to have half that many.

Cincinnati, OH

That was the guestimate I and the lady where they are coming from came to. She collected for nearly 25 yrs, stating I'll have close to 400 different varieities so im digging every inch of her yard to get them all!!! Happy planting this beautiful weekend ya'll!!!!! :: Jumps back in dirt ::

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, you could sure have a business with all those, especially if they're named. WOW.

Cincinnati, OH

That is going to be one of the labors... photographing and ID'ing them all. She has told me I may possibly have over 400 different cultivars. I have always wanted to open up a small nursery of my own being a hobby of mine. I am a teacher and I do a lot with the kids and the moms love gardening and have asked me to do side jobs for them. They have bought a lot of my Iris' and hostas already, but will have to wait on the DL's.

If you decide to sell any, let me know.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What is the roll call used for? I'm here.

Scott

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome Scott!

It's a thread to find exactly who's who here in the Ohio River Valley.
Follow the link at the top of the thread for the other members in our area.

Again Welcome!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH

Ric,
Since im new id like you too tell me if posting things about my daylilies here is out of line? I cant get into daylily forum cuz im not a member but im thinking of joining. Whats being a member all about?? Are there open chat rooms to IM with each other or chat in rooms as being members?? Thanks for any help!

Defoecat
I will be working on compiling a list and pictures this year if anything happens to flower. From what I hear being cut by a mower 3 times does stress the flower out and more than likely they wont flower. However, I have prepped the beds that would make my mom jealous LOL Anyhoo, I will be setting up a means but proably not til next year. The lady has happened to find a list of what she had collected thru 15 yrs worth. It had 247 cultivars listed. Then she collected for another 10+ yrs after that so im really excited but has been very consuming and exhautive work trying tp plant as many as I have. At times admittingly I throw whatever clumps I need to get done into one hole rather than taking the 10 possibly different clumps into individual holes.

andrew, there are definately benefits to being a subscriber vs a member. There is chat 2x a week, and there are forums that you cannot view if not a subscriber. I have been a subscriber for 2 years, and the $15 per year is the best money I have ever spent. I have learned so many things here, and the people are super. Not a nicer bunch to be found anywhere.

If, and when you get all the DL's planted, and ID'ed, and you have a desire to part with any, I would be interested. That is indeed a daunting task, but boy would I love to be on the receiving end. Did you buy them, or were they given to you?

And another thing about Dave's Garden, there are trading forums, and the people are so very generous with their offerings. I have gotten seeds, and plants, that otherwise would not be available to me in Zone 6.

Consider joining, and spending the $15 it costs, I guarantee that you will not regret it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And of course as benifits add Roundups.
We just had one here in Southern Ohio and have been kicking around having another this Fall.
At around 4 cents as day................NO better bargain on the Net!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH

OUCH seems someone has twisted my arm. :-D I will definitely be interested in selling them after ID, which will be next year more than likely, but I am also planning since im going to get a membership, I will have some kind of a round up to my beds next yr in assistance of ID?? Just a thought! Have a great week ya'll!

Don't count on me for ID, just love them, but know little to nothing about them.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

What part of cincy are you in Andrew?

As I suggested when you dmailed me , the best way to ID them would be to subscribe and then post them in the DL forum. You get the benefit of 1000's of people all across the country, one of them just might have your DL. I've got a rather large collection and will help when I can, but, sometimes it's almost impossible to id one without having an actual named flower/plant to compare to. There are soooo many that look alike! :-)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, I don't envy you moving that many. I hate the thought of moving mine. I just moved a small bed this week--it was only about 20 varieites--about 100 fans, but wowzers, I wouldnt' want to do it every day.

Cincinnati, OH

Im currently living in Norwood, however, my gardens are up in Glendale and Springdale, and another new bed in Wyoming I hope. Thanks for your help Melissa and I will post when I can. :-D

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Another WVian checking in. Just found the thread and finished reading all the posts, whew! I'm in Buffalo, about 25 miles NE of Gallipolis, OH. I see lots of old and new gardening friends on here, HI to all :~) I was hoping to get the the roundup this spring but couldn't make it happen.

Lana

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lana Welcome to the ORVG!
We need more people upriver here.
Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Lana - good to see you here! :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Lana, are you following me? LOL

Many welcomes to the newer people! It's nice to meet you all.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just found this tidbit about Licking County climate in a 2004 PDF from Dawes Arboretum regarding conifers. I thought you might be interested in learning what the weather's like in my pocket of ORV. We live within a few miles of the arboretum.

Sorry it's not text, but a snapshot out of Adobe Reader.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This will of course all change now that the fence is down ;)

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The demo heard 'round the world!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A Butterfly flaps in wings in China.......
A gardenwife swings a Maddock in Newark.......lol

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Your sayings are true, Sensei.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

gardenwife, hi I haven't talked to you in a while. Good to see you.

Badseed, I'm on your trail trying to uproot all the little bad seed weeds :~p ROFLOL.

Lana

WVdaisy, welcome. Do come back and visit often.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I'll be sure to. :~)

Lana

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well, I shall officially jump in. Thanks for the welcome, all. I'm Decumbent from Anderson Twp (near Turpin High School).

Scott

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

hi Wvdaisy...and welcome!

Decumbent..from Anderson twp....welcome to you also! It's nice to have you both here!
Marcy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Nice to meet you Scott! I just moved from Mt. Washington, right on the other side of Beechmont. Decided it was time for some acreage. Welcome to DG!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome Decumbent!

Ric (from Anderson Twp near McNich High School)
Who was at Greenfield near Turpin High School yesterday! LOL

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome!!

Hey Ric, are they marking down yet?

I just LOVE their plants, and their prices. :-)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm here. Just sitting in front of the computer, bemoaning my fate after looking at the malicious mud that spreads out over the entire garden after last night's storm. Last weekend I cleaned out 2 small freestanding ponds, and created some mud that nearly sucked my shoes off, but now its everywhere. I'm working on putting in new gardens, trying to amend to soil properly before I plant. With the weather so far this year, I'm wondering if I'll ever get to the "planting" phase.
Julie

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Pond muck is great stuff!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome to everyone new to the forum!

We are really growing. Can't wait for the next roundup!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--

Yes, Greenfield Plant Farm (near Turpin H.S.) marked down their annuals to a $1 (for the normally $3.95 containers.) this week. I bought a bunch of milkweed for my butterfly garden.

Andrew--good luck with all those daylilies-- you can try out subscribership in DG for $5 for a month or so, but I'm sure you will like it and find it most useful for your project and want the annual membership.

Also you might consider joining the Greater Cincinnati Hemerocallis and Hosta Society (or whatever it is called)...They are having their Daylily show July 1 at the Northgate Mall.
Everybody's invited. I don't have many daylilies (only about 25) but I joined anyway to learn about them and gardening in general. Nice people.

http://www.gcdhs.org/

Lot's of new 'voices' here! Good to know there are so many ORVians on DG!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.