Vines growing up large trees

San Jose, CA

I have 3 beautiful old oak trees in the backyard. They branch out about 8-10 feet above ground. I am thinking about planting some climbing roses, clematis. Has anyone done something similar ?. How do you get the plants to climb up a bare tree trunk ? I don't want to string wires or nets as these plants are right by the windows in kitchen and that will be ugly. Wisteria seems to be too over powering.
Any help greatly appreciated. Also any thoughts on quick growing and fragrant climbers will be appreciated.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I am trying to do samething on my paloverde trees. I am going with vines that are not heavy or woody and trying to mix deciduous with evergreens. So far snail vine fits the picture.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I did it with Asarina vine, it looks like ivy but it isn't, gets pretty pink, purple & dark purple flowers. I used green plastic fencing that I got at Home Depot.
Here is a pic of the left over fencing so you can see what it looks like.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I just stood the fencing up like it is in the picture above and went around the tree, when I met the 2 ends, I cut it and attached them together, but I did leave it really loose, probably an extra foot then it actually would have measured.
Once the vines grow over it you cannot even see it, the green blends right in with the foliage. :~) Hope that helps.
Donna

Edited to add what I forgot to add the first time, LOL, I don't think you are going to have much success getting them to climb the trees without some type of support, short of putting nails in the tree and I am just not sure if that would harm the tree. I know I would not be comfortable doing that. I felt the same way when I first decided to grow vines up my 2 trees, not wanting any type of support that would show, but after wasting a year trying to train the vines, then resorting to clear fishing line with STILL no success, I finally accepted defeat and went with the fencing. It did not take as long as I feared it would to cover the fencing completely, the asarina grows fast enough that it covered the fencing the same year. And those vines get heavy and the fencing supports it well. Good luck! :~)

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 1:57 PM

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Great plan, PudgyMudpies! I will use this idea. In your pic the fence really is unseeable. Though, How does it look upclose?

I am wanting to try and cover a tree eyesore also but the viewing is going to be up close and personal. Iwant the tree trunks(they are growing together in a clump) to disappear.

I have received from a fellow DGer a potato vine and have been told it will climb up the tree trunks.
Thanks for the idea.
calvin

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Calvin. With the asarina it is totally invisible, I think it just depends on what you grow on it. But even when it was not filled in, the green really went a long way to making it blend.

San Jose, CA

Green shows till filled in. The plant has to be a fast grower to cover up fast. If you plant a rose or clematis (usually slow growers), then green against the tree is visible. I wonder if there is something in brown that will be less visible?

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I had some passifloras planted fairly close to a weeping willow, and boy, the passifloras just about covered the willow tree. Try tying some string, just to guide them, once they get a hold a branch and starch working their magic, you can get rid of the string.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.