hydrangeas for cut flowers

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I plan on using some cut hydrangeas in an arrangement for a party. Is there any secrets to keep them from wilting too fast?

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Also, can I use oalkeaf hydrangea as a cut flower?

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have tried to bring my oakleaf hydrangeas indoors but they tend to shed quite a bit of material when they are in the vase. I have "Alice", but maybe one of the cultivars with mostly sterile flowers wouldnt be as bad.

As for fresh cut hydrangeas I know of a few methods to help preserve them. One involves splitting the stems, searing them with a match, and putting them into a tall bucket of warm water. Another method is splitting, then putting stem ends into boiling water for a few seconds, then warm water. Also have heard that you can dip stems in alum powder (used in canning fruit) and put them in warm water. In all cases, move stems to room temp water a few hours before you arrange them. You may want to test these to see which one works best for you. I have had the most success when I cut mine early in the morning. Good luck!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Best way I have found is to cut them and put them in water (naturally) and place them in the refrigerator overnight or longer. they become very turgid and stay that way. If you want dried flowers wait until October when they get kind of crispy and then cut and place in a vase with no water...they will stay that way and keep their color all winter.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Also, when cutting the stems, make a long slanted cut to expose the "pulp" in the center of the stem(The white spongy material) and let them soak for several hours...they will become hard and last a long time. Use a sharp knife to make the cut...

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I have PeeGee's that I cut every Fall just before winter when the blooms turn pinkish.I put them in bunches and dry them upside down and sell them at my booth in an antique mall.People really love them.They last a long time and I throw them away only when lots of flowers break off.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I just cut some Nikko Blue for the weekend, I used Flower Fresh from the florist in the water and so far they are holding up well. Try that (I don't know what's in it but it sure works).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.