Question about yellow squash

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought and planted (in my first big veggie garden) a squash whose tag calls it straight neck squash. It is yellow. Is this the same squash you buy in the grocery store...........smallish size and great sliced up and fried or put in soups or stir frys?

It is is not called this then what is the correct name for the yellow squash I'm looking for? I sure hope I didn't plant the wrong one since I planted a whole bunch of them. They might wind up deer food if I don't like them. :)

Brenda

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

It should be the right one. Most of the ones I see in the store here are probably the crookneck squash but they taste the same.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, it is a yellow summer squash. There are many cultivars of the straightneck version and some have more flavor than others. The crooknecks have curved necks and also have many cultivars. Down here crookneck devotees will not eat the straightneck. While some crooknecks have very good flavor, it is probably more a choice of cultivar than a statistical difference based on shape.

Here is one of the more tasteless straightnecks -Saffron

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

One of the better crooknecks - Horn of Plenty

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you farmerdill for you input. I think the second pic you posted is more what I meant to plant. Oh well. I have a 50 foot row of the straight neck variety planted so we'll just have to make do with them. Next year I'll look for the horn of plenty variety.

Is the Horn of Plenty your favorite?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, biut I try new (to me ) cultivars each year.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Farmer....
Glad to hear your preference... I've never tried Horn of Plenty squash before but definitely WILL next year....
LarryD

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I have eaten golden zucchini and hated it. I hope yours turns out. Hey seeds are pretty inexpensive. Maybe you can pick some up a wally world or something. When your seeds emerge, pull half of them up and plant the new seeds. Then you will have two varieties to try.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Straight neck is not a zuke, so that would not be the problem. Some straight necks are bland and watery but never the zuchinni taste. Actually the old "Early Prolific Straightneck" can hold its own tastewise with the hybrid crooknecks. The Op Giant Summer crookneck has the best flavor. A good choice if you don't have to worry about productivity.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

That's it!!! " Early Prolific Straightneck"..... I've been growing it every year for a long time.... glad you give it "thumbs up"!! We like it too!

LarryD

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, well this is the stuff I detest. I wasn't sure of the name exactly.

http://smallfarms.typepad.com/photos/farmers_markets/img_9268.html

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not a big fan of zuchinnii myself. Good in stir frys tho where the flavor blends in nicely. There are dozens of yellow zuke cultivars and like everything else some are better than others.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I like zucchini but I stir fry it with yellow crookneck squash. I like to pick it very young while it's still sweet..

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh I LOVE zucchini. I just hate that yellow kind. It really doesn't taste the same as the green to me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't care for golden zucchini. I read in some cookbook that golden zucchini tasted better than green, but when I performed by own taste test, I found no comparison. I keep my zucchini green and grow yellow crookneck which is one of my favorites since childhood.
And I do like green zucchini very much but it took me a long time to find ways to cook it that I liked. Here in New Mexico we slice or cube it, and cook it with onions, corn off the cob, green chile and cheese, in a dish called calabacitas which my husband would eat every night if he could. I love it too.
Zucchini baked with corn, eggs, parsley and cheese is another one of my favorites.
But I never grow more than 2 zucchini plants and still have to give some away.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

My favorite stirfry is Zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, onions, banana peppers in a little olive oil and a splash of rice vinegar. a light sprinkle with sea salt towards the ends and it's done!.. all the above from my garden and super fresh of course.. yumm.. the Dh likes it when I throw in tomatoes too but I like it without

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Add a few florets of broccoli and substitute Mexibells for those Sweet Banana peppers and it would more to my taste.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Well you know.. the interesting thing about those banana peppers was that they had a little heat to them. I am really just guessing that they were banana peppers since when I bought them they were supposed to be jalapenos. Then the peppers turned out to be long and greenish yellow that ripened into red. SO who knows what they were..other than gooooood!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.