petunias which season

Central West (Rural), Australia

It is the first day of winter,when do I plant petunias.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Golden elm,

If you are in a frost free area, tomorrow would be a good day. If you only get light frost they will handle that, but, grow slowly. If you see temps below 28F or -1C best to wait until the really cold weather is past (July-aug maybe) Local garden center folks can help too.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

How very interesting that it is your first day of winter and ours of summer. I don't know what your winters are like there, but here in TN USA, we can have days in the 70's, 20's and everywhere inbetween. I have a small greenhouse so I usually winter over petunias if they look good thru the autumn. Have you tried just seeding them into the ground in a protected site? There is a grocery store in the small town we live near and they have planters out front with the old fashion petunias. Nothing is ever done to them and they seem to come back year after year. In fact, this spring I asked the owner if I could have some of the plants just coming up and he told me I could. I just dug them up, planted some right into a garden spot and the others in potting soil on my deck. They are all thriving and today saw blossoms on the ones on the deck. Keep us posted on how things are there.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Not sure of the exact date this year, but the solstice won't occur until June 21 or 22, so technically it's still Spring/Fall depending on which side of the Equator you're on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.