Help. Tomatoes/cukes in peas' spot?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I had peas planted in several beds this year, thinking they'd be done in time to plant tomatoes/cukes/corn in their spots. But then came a LONG cool May, and the peas are only ripening now, a good two weeks after I'd put in the tomatoes. The cukes should go in this week or next. Too late for my poor tomato plants? Any advice?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I think your peas should be done before the tomatoes become a problem. You won't need to fertilize them if they are in the same box :)

Thanks, Jazz. The problem is that the peas are completely occupying the raised bed/row (there's no frame for the bed; it's just heaped up) and I'm not sure a tomato seedling would get the sun it needs. I've also got some chicken wire running down the length of the bed, but I'll try to keep the maters away from that for now. That will come down when the peas come out.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Zepy - Can you put your tomatoes into larger pots until you free up the bed? That will give the roots extra room to continue to grow.

kanita

Thanks, Kanita. I'm doing that right now. But it's going to be some deep digging when planting time comes! :)

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I know how you feel. I was in that situation with a bell pepper that I had potted up in a 3 gallon container. I had to really dig deep to get it in there. The pepper was already a good 2 1/2 ft tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.