Sticky 60s

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

Yesterday we closed on a '69 home. After we left the realtor, we returned to our "new home" for cleanup. We changed clothes & dove right in. Right away we found a slight but needing-to-be-remedied problem with the windows. They are the crank type windows. Not the small slat-paned windows but 2 large panes per window that crank outward. We found one crank broken & all of them were very hard to get open. In fact, some of the plastic pieces inside the runners (?) are cracked or broken & the windows certainly do not go up & down as intended. We figure that all of these windows should be lubricated so they'll open & close easier before we break them all! As of now, we have 2 windows that are stuck in the open position & can't even close so we had to lower our Bahama Shutters for safety.

What would be the best way to lubricate these windows? Not only the cranking mechanism (box) but the part of the window supports that move up & down on each side. This seems to be the problem that's causing the sticking.

We'll be needing some replacement parts I'm sure. Which store should I look for them at?

Also, I would like to know how to clean those aluminum frames.

As new homeowners we'd like to learn to do these repairs. We have a screwdriver & a pair of pliers so we're eager to go! LOL

~ Suenell

Thumbnail by Cambium
This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!