Variegated Cannas in my hybrid work??

Louisville, KY

Here are some cannas I am growing that have variegation in them some seem to be very stable others not so much?

This one has a very light variegated streaks in the leaves of both yellow and white.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Not completely stable but noticable. This has large steaks of yellow it maybe a seedling off of Kansas city

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Keep the pictures coming as it matures. Variegated and dark colored leaves are always of interest to most canna lovers.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Brian
I'm now hooked on cannas, thank you for all the pics. My first one, a stuttgart, now has two leaves on it but no vatriegation, does it take a while for the var. to show.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Celtie,
Here're my Stuttgarts, planted 2-1/2 months ago.

Oops.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

One more.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Louisville, KY

Nope looks like has reverted back to green. I have seen this happen a few times. Mine are usually highly var with large blotches.

And some dark variegation on a Canna Cleopatra.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

And, yet another Canna Cleo variegation.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

So if there is no variegation on the stuttgart , it will not develop ?

I got them for the variegation, they have such an insignificent flower its kind of dissapointing to have the plain leaf
I wonder if the company will replace these ones for me.?

BWilliams,
My canna are in a dark corner of an east facing patio. Should I move them into the light? Everything I've read on the Stuttgarts says even the slightest sun will scortch and fry the leaves, which is why they're in the filtered "dark."

Please advise. Thanks!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I have my stuttgarts in very limited filtered light, and they still get brown a little bit on the white parts. The come up white and green right from the get-go, so Gymgirl and Celt, I'm thinking maybe Brian is correct (as he usually is) and yours has taken a turn for the green life...

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

That sucks
After all that waiting, i still have one that hasn't sprouted so maybe there's hope for that one. Ive already e-mailed the e-bay store where I got them, i had $2 insurance on them ,so I figure that should cover lack of excitement. LOL

Louisville, KY

I usually do not release var plants unless they have a leaf up this way you can make sure they have kept the variegation. In some cases cleopatra will revert green or red and some of these other forms will turn green. Your best bet maybe to find a good source who have them grown out a bit.

Katy, TX

Gymgirl,

Re. the green "Stuttgart": It looks to me like you were sold a mis-labeled canna, that it's not 'Stuttgart.' Same thing happened to me 2 or 3 times until I bought from Karchesky Canna -- they sent a large rhizome that, sure enough, was green & white from the 1st leaf. (Karchesky costs a little more, but you do avoid the all too common problems with mis-labeling and sickly rhizomes.)

Paul

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Well I just got back from a long weekend and here's what I found,

It looks like one of my bulbs that I recieved was in fact a "Stuttgart" which has produced two plants, one with one variegated leaf and the other with two, one open and one unrolling.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

The other reaching high but no variegation , 5 days since I emailed the supplier......no answer.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Brian, have you ever crossed a Stuttgart with anything.

Update..im over this supplier very poor communication..

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

celt33040, Look on your paypal history and find their phone number. If this is a big seller your email is getting drowned in hundreds of other email or stuck in a spam folder.

Call them! There was one instance that calling was the only way I would have been able to recieve my items I bought.

Try not to let the lack of email response get you too upset and go make the phone call. Good luck!

Brian,your cannas are awesome! Beautiful pictures!

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Gardener
I did manage to get a hold of them , explained the situation , had to send the bulb back, they would not arrange pickup. Explained that i wanted them to reship the correct bulb with another to make up for shipping. They just issued me a refund that I did not want, I wanted my product as ordered. I dont want my money back I want my time back.
I dont accept the inability of companies to respond to e-mail due to quantity. I do a lot of my companies business on the web and if you are going to gladly accept orders and money through e-mail you must be prepared to handle the influx of mail its bart of e commerce.

They just offer bad service BULBMART EBAY

I wasn`t excusing the not answering email but they just do Not answer it sometimes. It is very aggravating so I can identify completely.

I hope you can find you some beautiful Stuttgarts soon!

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Hey, I didn't think you were. Its just annoying. I left them a poor feedback .

I think I found my source on ebay and I believe she's a DG member, cant beat that.
NEIL

Me too. There are indeed some awesome sellers on ebay!

I just got a beautiful order in from Karchesky.

Louisville, KY

a few more pics of the var cannas. I have seen some streaking before that fades or leaves. I am not yet sure what these will do a few remind me of the variegation on canna tangledweb.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

This is a different plant than the one above but similar streaking.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Yellow variegation in the leaves.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

another plant with similar var on the leaves.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

love the last picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.