Can you eat ornamental sweet potatoes?

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I am curious as to whether you can eat ornamental sweet potato tubers........ All the research on the web says nothing about edibility.. however all of those whom have many years on me say that you cannot. All way well until I came across a small grower in Chatham, IL that was selling "Sweet Potatoes" 50 slips in a pot for 5$. This man is a healthy 80 years old at least, and he told me that his daughter was on vacation in the caribbean, and she stuck a sweet potatoe from a street vendor into her jacket and brought it home...... 25 years ago. He has kept the strain alive for the last 25 years and says it is unlike any sweet potato that you can buy, for it lacks any stringiness in the tuber when cooked. More to the point now.... this "Sweet Potato" looks like a normal green version of the "Ornamental" vines sold in every big box store. I am uploading a picture of the "Old Man's" sweet potato.....My confusion lies in the undeniable similarity between something I was told to relish and something I am to avoid eating. It looks just like a bland version of the popular purple sweet potato vine.

Thumbnail by mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture of the normal purple ornamental sweet potato vine.... This photo was taken at night.... it makes the purple leaves look more dark green.

This message was edited May 30, 2006 10:20 PM

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's perhaps a better picture of the purple vine I think closely resembles the "edible" vine I bought from the ancient one.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most of the "ornamental" sweet potatoes were developed for ornamental purposes and little attention was paid to the selection of the roots for flavor and texture. The result is poor quality roots for eating. ( A sweet potato is a modified root, not a tuber). The edible sweet potatoes were developed primarily for the roots, although there is a wide varience in taste, texture and productity among the many cultivars. A sweet potato bought from a vendor would be one of the edible cultivars. The ornamental vines would yield edible roots, they are just not very good for the purpose.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

That's ok, some of the recipes I have call for so much sweet stuff added in that I almost believe that a regular potato and some food coloring would go unnoticed. I just wanted to make sure that I would not poison myself if I baked up one of the potatoes I was saving from an ornamental instead of one I was saving to eat :)
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.