help with rose planting mistake

Montclair, NJ(Zone 6b)

Huge planting mistake - it seems. I planted 4 bare root roses from David Austin almost 2 weeks ago. The already have little shoots on them (very proud). But just realized (don't know how I missed it), I didn't plant the "bud onion" 4" below the soil as is required for them to survive the winters here - zone 6b in Northern New jersey. ( i thought the bud onion was where the roots came together and now realize its where the canes come together).

Should I - Dig them up and replant deeper. OR just add more soil to get to 4" (about 4" of soil) and try to make as wide as possible a hill?

I'm worried that the second opion won't really provide the insulation th plant will need over the winter - not to mention making unsightly lumps in my bed.

So if I go ahead and replant the bushes what care should I take in moving them? I figure I would do them one at a time. Dig as large a hole as possible around them (maybe 24" across and 18" deep), take out the plant and soil together if it will stay together considering there probably isn't much of a root ball yet, then put some triple sulphate in the deeper hole i've dug and put the plant back in at the proper depth. Should I fertilize again considering I just did yesterday when I took the mulch mounds off?

Does this seem like a good game plan???

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

DrB, There are real rose experts on the rose forum. If you want to be 100% sure ask Zuzu who is Queen of the rose mavens and very nice.

In the meantime, I think your plan is very carefull. Transplanting small roses after 2 weeks shouldn't be a huge deal. Digging carefully sounds sufficient. If you ammended your soil 2 weeks ago, did you amend it deep enough to accomodate the extra 4 inches? If not, I would add this step.
The triple sulfate is a great extra advantage.Are you using organic or synthetic fertilier? If organic, add it again (it shouldn't hurt). If its synthetic, I would try to gauge how much got lost in the transfer and add only a little to make it up. Synthetic fertilizers can burn your plants.
Hope that helps.

Anyone who can improve on my suggestions, please go ahead. I know I still have more to learn.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dr. B, I saw you found your way to the rose forum & Zuzu!

Montclair, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes, i did. thank you so much for your advice too. i'm planning on replanting tomorrow evening after the rain and when it itsn't too cool outside. i used rosetone to fertilize (which i believe is organic, but i will check). i'm guessing i should try not to expose the roots right. i'm going to try to have them in and out of the ground as quickly as possible to minimize shock.

can't wait 'til i have my own pix to share!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Just don't leave them out of the ground in the sun or for an extended period. A cloudy or wet day would be ideal. Good luck. I just planted 5 new roses from Chamblees. More low maintenance roses.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How did the transplanting go? You had to have enough cloud cover, mist and rain to ease your mind! We had 4.25" over the last few days.

Montclair, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got so much great advice from you DG'ers but some conflicting advice from others, so I just called up David Austin directly. They said that the plants will be okay without digging them up. Just mulch them well for the winter. So I'm enjoying seeing them grow!

I was so excited for the rain at first. But then it just kept coming, and coming. I hope we will get some sun so my poor babies' soggy feet can dry out a bit. I can't wait to post my own first blooms.

How are your new Chablee roses doing D47?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

DrB, They are growing well with 1 bush blooming already. I am very happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.