Horticultural Grit?

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

This seems to be heavily called for in all of the British gardening resources, but is not much mentioned here in the states. Is it at all different from poultry grit or coarse sand and/or fine gravel? Do we use something entirely different here or just have a different name?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I would guess it is called rocks, stones, gravel, etc that is absent in the island of England. rocks are important to provide soil structure and it is rarely discussed because most of us have plenty of this. Except heavy clay areas. I use a lot of rocks in my soil amendment.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

A neighbor lady here grows a lot of succulents. She uses a 1" layer of "horticultural grit" in all her pots to get make them happy (it drains the water away form plants that don't like to sit in it). Essentially, she says its crushed granite. The particles are a bit larger than my poultry grit, but I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine! It's seived to be in size anywere between 1-5mm.

Peoria, IL

They don't have rocks in England?
I learn something new every day ;-)

Kerrville, TX

Poultry grit works fine for most of the applications the English publications make reference to. Not very expensive and easy to find. I sprinkle a thin layer of grit over very small seeds that are supposed to be buried one/sixtenth of an inch. The grit wont crust and wont hold water. It seems to help with damping off problems and the little plants pop right up thru the grit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.