WalMart Canna Rhyzomes

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

has any one here ever had any trouble with canna rhyzomes from walmart? i bought a few this spring and as they came up the leaves dont open right its like they stick togather . also they look weak . i bought some a few years back from there and had the same trouble to. any ideas? regards paul

Visalia, CA(Zone 7a)

That happened to me last year, as if there's a mutant gene or something. This year the same plant's new offshoots are OK., But the old main part of the plant seems to still do it. I think when I divide them, I'll keep the new rhizomes and toss the old plant. I'd be curious to know why it does this, though.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I purchased a package of 5 Madame Butterfly canna rhizomes in late winter this year. I planted them when the soil started warming up, which was pretty early in March. None of them ever came up, and upon closer inspection I discovered that they were all gone. I don't know if the rhizomes were just not viable when I planted them, or exactly what happened to them.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Minigrannie i planted some to this year in pots they never came up when i looked in the pots they wasc nothing there paul

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted 3 Lucifer rhizomes in pots. They came up, but the leaves were all twisted and gnarly.

Steve

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought it was so strange that they just disappeared. At least I'm glad to see that I wasn't imagining things, Paul.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I just bought 20 canna rhizomes from Walmart today. I am gonna go out and plant them while the ground is nice and wet and see if they come up.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i wrote a email to Walmarts home office complaing lets see if they answer me regards paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't count on it unless you have one of the good stores. Mine looked good and a couple had the beginnings of a plant on them. Also the package said I had 20 but there were only 18. Planted them on north and south side of house and in my old veggie garden which is full of chicken manure.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I`ll share what experience I have had. My experience has been that the Wal Mart rhizomes are not always the freshest and I guess it depends on what time of the year so I check careful for little rotted spots. I`m starting to think plastic bags for storage is bad for rhizomes even with the peat added. I have begun checking the rhizomes as soon as I get home from the store and moving them into paper bags or boxes with peat moss to cover them until I`m ready to plant. One little spot can lead to the whole rhizome rotting away before roots appear just like a potato going bad in a bag. Other than having to do surgery cutting off bad places I have had good results from potting the rhizomes at first so I could watch them and planting after they sprouted and the roots approaching the bottom of the pot.

I also planted some straight out in the beds and never saw them again. I don`t know why but the ones I planted out in the beds never sprouted. I`m not sure what was going on with that! The ones I potted up all sprouted quickly and they are doing wonderful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.