help! I think my JM is dying

Kansas City, KS(Zone 5b)

We bought a Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" from a local nursery. Unfortunately, my husband threw away our receipt. But anyway, we planted the maple as directed and watered it. It's in an area that receives late morning and afternoon sun, sheltered by large rose bushes. It's losing leaves. The leaves have dried up and are crinkly. The branches have not died back; they are still viable but almost all of the leaves have dried. I tried watering it more. Then when I saw no difference started watering less. At this point, I'm hoping it's just a transplant shock. Can anyone give me any help? Should I just leave it in and continue watering it in the hopes it won't really die.

Last summer I planted a redbud and its leaves all died and fell off. We thought it was dead; just never dug it up. This spring it bloomed and leafed out.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Mary

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It could very well be experiencing transplant shock. But don't water it anymore until you need to. If your finger comes back damp from sticking it in the dirt then the tree doesn't need any water.

Many nursery trees are grown under shade cloth and being moved directly into afternoon sun can do a job on them. I think that you are just going to have to wait and see if it comes back. I planted two trees last year in July that were almost totally defoliated (at a great price) and they both are fine now. But you never know. Just hang in there.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Excellent advice from doss.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't know enough to help, but wish you the best with your tree.

Laura

South San Francisco, CA

Melliemoo

Check the bark for any black, either from the tips back or in random areas on the main branches and trunk. Bloodgoods already have a dark bark, but check carefully for what looks as if someone took a torch to it. Also, make sure you can feel root if you scrape the soil around the base of the tree. I can't tell you how many times I have seen trees planted too deeply and the crown has rotted out.

Let's hope for shock!

Kansas City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your help. If the bark has black on it, what does that mean? I don't think it does. I checked the bark and didn't see anything unusual. If I planted it too deep, can I dig it up and replant it?

Kansas City, KS(Zone 5b)

I just checked my maple again. There are a few leaves on the top that are fine; they looked like they were going to dry up last week but now they look normal. So maybe it has a chance. There is no black stuff on my bark. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

South San Francisco, CA

The black is an indication or either Verticillium or a Pseudomona, both diseases that attack maples (among other plants) when conditions are right - cool wet springs being the most prominent. It has been a real problem out here this year with all of the rain we were getting. Fortunately we are finally done with that!

Glad to hear the new growth is looking good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.