Japanese Maple seedlings....

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

We are lucky enough to have a beautiful, mature (35+ yrs) Japanese Maple in our courtyard. It's simply gorgeous right now. The pic below is from last year, but you get the idea!

We also have lots of JM babies in the yard - some are tiny (3-4"), others are 12" and multi-branched. I was wondering what others do for seedlings like this. Leave them where they are? I was thinking that I could create a little Japanese baby nursery bed somewhere in the yard so they could be tended to and watched over. I love Japanese Maples...we've added a few to the yard, and enjoy watching these little ones grow. If I do move them, can I do it now? Should I fertilize them? And what about shade? The seedlings are growing in all different environments - shade, sun, partial, etc. I'm afraid they are going to be plucked as weeds by well-meaning kids (not mine - they know them well!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kara

Thumbnail by plymouthgarden
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It is a beautiful tree Kara, I don't know much about starting seeds. Your baby trees may not turn out to be the same as the 'mother' tree since that can generally be only done by grafting. But I have 3 seedling maples and I love them.

I'm glad that you shared your beautiful tree with us.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

It is a beautiful tree, Kara. I can't answer your questions about the seedlings, but there will probably be someone by who can! I do know I have seen pictures of seedlings that made absolutely beautiful trees.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I would wait til fall unless you think they will "disapere" then do it now ...and water 'em well and do it of an evening during a cooler period ...they ...as doss said could klook like just about anything...so it's poker for ya ...Being seedlings they will likely do well in any enviorment and your 7a is a winter 7a and I would assume your summers are not like a southern 7a but like a 5 or 6 but it still may be best to put them in part shade ...David

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Kara,

Thanks for sharing the picture of your beautiful JM! I also would like to comment on the brick (I guess) fence! What an unusual design...so intricate yet serene looking...a perfect foil for the tree!!

Connie

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

My japanese maple has seeds this year, and I was wondering when I will know when it's time to pick them and how best to start them and when is the best time to plant them. My tree is in a raised bed with concrete walkway on one side and a driveway on the other, so I won't get any accidental seedlings. If any of you know, I'd appreciate the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.