Shade, container, flowering...

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

One of my neighbors recently asked for help. He wants to put plants in containers, on his totally shaded porch, that produce flowers. And he's also told me that any impatiens he's tried just didn't make it. Another comment he made was that he didn't mind watering, but doesn't want to invest much time beyond that. If I only had a few spare hours, I could probably make a bargain with him: I could plant and care for his shady containters and he could lend me his help as a computer whiz. But...I'm already loaded down with my own plant family.
So...any suggestions out there?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Astilbe would be great - if you can find it in the nursery now. Plant them with some coleus and ferns. You don't want it all the same plant do you? Tuberose begonias might work. Plant them with those moisture beads and time release fertilizer and they should be fine. Fibrous begonias are another idea. Fuchsias are perhaps the easiest.

And go ask at the container gardening forum too. I'll bet that they will have some great ideas.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

doss.....I'm not so sure the astilbe would be good in containers. All of mine are in the ground. And.....they can't get dried out. They also don't have their flowers for very long.

Tuberous begonias and wax begonias have flowers and should do well. I've never heard of anyone who can't grow impatiens. My guess is that they weren't watered enough. Impatiens wilt quickly, and my fuchias also want a lot of water. Most definitely use the moisture beads. How about the self-watering pots? The plants could go a little longer without watering. Does he know that pots need to be watered daily....or at the very least every other day? When it's really hot, mine get watered a.m. and p.m......and I use the moisture crystals.

Could you talk him into caladiums or coleus? No flowers, but you can get a lot of color and they do beautifully in shaded pots. Most of my deck area is completely shaded and I use a lot of caladium, rex begonias, tuberous begonias, ferns. Asparagus fern does quite well in the shade and really looks fantastic with caladiums. I'd gotten tired of impatiens, but did recently find a wonderful variagated, double impatiens. So......impatiens are back!

Good luck tootsiepotts!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Too bad you can't talk him into some foliage that would give him different coors and texture. He doesn't have to have flowers. Coleus in all different colors will give the impression of flowers and also Heucheras, hostas, ferns, dragon wing Begonia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.