Holes or no holes?

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I have read all of the post I could find about making a bog garden. I got a Tarnok and a Psittacina at the Knoxville plant swap. I rent so I can not dig a hole. I purchased a tub used for mixing cement, a bag of pure peat moss , a bag of course all purpose sand and a bag of long stem spagum moss. Should I put drainage holes in the tub or not? This is my first try with outside pitcher plants and the ones given me were growing in pure peat moss. Also should I put some pea gravel in the bottom? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Betty

Psittacina likes it wetter than 'Tarnok'. You might want to use the concrete tub for rinsing your sand and then mixing in your sphagnum peat and then you might want to opt for a standard patio pot that can be set in a drip tray for your new babies. These plants can easily withstand being in patio pots that are standing in water during the growing season. The tubs I've seen for mixing concrete are generally too shallow for Sarracenia in my humble opinion. You can skip the pea gravel in the bottom of your pots but I do put some Long Fiber Sphagnum in the bottom of mine before filling with my sand and Sphagnum Peat mix.

Welcome to the hobby.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks equilibrium! I went out and purchased 2 large pots.

Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.