Goats

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

The man I get my pullets from has two (approximately) year old wethers. Our goat, Betty, lost her companion goat last November and so I've the bright idea to bring these little wethers home. Of course, now I'm worried about how they'll get along. Betty is quite a bit bigger than the wethers and I'm wondering if there are steps I should take to ease the introduction between them all.

I'm partitioning a section of the goat stall for the new goats but the 'barnyard' is open - it's very large, part concrete, part tall grass.

Can anyone share experiences? Make suggestions? Much appreciated.

Catherine

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Jersey, I raised goats for years, and recently had to find homes for the last 6. It broke my heart but because of uncommitted dog owners and no leash laws in my area my goats had to be confined all day until I could come home and let them 'tether" in the pasture! This was not a good way to raise them so I found them new homes.
I found that a Doe which has lost her only companion will become very possesive of her territory,if she is the only goat you have, you will have to keep new younger kids separate from her until she gets used to seeing them through a separation fence. You can gradually let them "greet" her but give them room to move away! She will more thatn likely accept them but,she will dominate them,because it was her home first!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.